none
Removing the "Do you want to allow your PC to be discoverable" RRS feed

• Question

• I am doing a build and capture of Windows 10 using MDT 2013u2.

Windows 10 clients both during the build process and after being deployed are asking "Do you want to allow your PC to be discoverable?"  I thought this question was controlled by the NetworkLocation setting in OOBE Unattend.xml.  That value is set to "Work" - but I am still being asked the question about discoverability.  When I deploy the OS using a Task Sequence, I also get this question.  This is not the kind of question my users know how to answer. 

Is there a way to set this value in unattend.xml?  Has networklocation been depreciated?

Thursday, June 30, 2016 4:17 PM

All replies

• I too am having this problem, any fixes yet? Though I am not using MDT the fix should be the same. This is the only other forum post here I have found on this topic.

I have started one here, too.

Portland Public Schools / Systems Administrator II

• Edited by Adam Seitz Wednesday, August 17, 2016 9:55 PM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2016 9:28 PM
  • I am doing a build and capture of Windows 10 using MDT 2013u2.

Windows 10 clients both during the build process and after being deployed are asking "Do you want to allow your PC to be discoverable?"  I thought this question was controlled by the NetworkLocation setting in OOBE Unattend.xml.  That value is set to "Work" - but I am still being asked the question about discoverability.  When I deploy the OS using a Task Sequence, I also get this question.  This is not the kind of question my users know how to answer. 

Is there a way to set this value in unattend.xml?  Has networklocation been depreciated?

It is fixed for me. Updating my unattend.xml and adding this is the fix for me:

<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
        <settings pass="oobeSystem">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup"........>
                <FirstLogonCommands>
                    <SynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
                        <Order>1</Order>
                        <CommandLine>REG ADD &quot;HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\NewNetworkWindowOff&quot; /F</CommandLine>
                        <Description>No New Network Block</Description>
                        <RequiresUserInput>true</RequiresUserInput>
                    </SynchronousCommand>
                </FirstLogonCommands>
            </component>
        </settings>
    </unattend>

Thanks @ Narcoticoo for helping me with this!

Thursday, August 18, 2016 9:57 PM
  • NetworkLocation has been deprecated and WSIM note's that it has been and should not be used.

This really isn't an issue as you can safely ignore the prompt while the deployment continues with its automation. Although, if you're worried about end users disrupting the process you could institute the HideShell setting.

If you want to lock it down permanently, you can set the policy when you are building your reference image before you capture it.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Friday, August 19, 2016 1:54 PM
  • NetworkLocation has been deprecated and WSIM note's that it has been and should not be used.

This really isn't an issue as you can safely ignore the prompt while the deployment continues with its automation. Although, if you're worried about end users disrupting the process you could institute the HideShell setting.

If you want to lock it down permanently, you can set the policy when you are building your reference image before you capture it.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Thanks for that, I will check that out!

Friday, August 19, 2016 3:38 PM