Hyper V Exchange 2013 VM Snapshot Disaster Recovery Options RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a VM for Exchange 2013 cu2 on Hyper-V, which has a snapshot which was mysteriously created. The snapshot has been deleted and I now have two files a vhd and a avhd. The avhd has about 120GB of data in it. 

Here are my questions

1. If I power off the server the two files will merge. Will this lead to a broken Exchange.

2. What are my options for disaster recovery before I try a merge? How can I setup another Identical Exchange server and move all user data so that the outlook client does not need to be reconfigured?

I have backed up the exchange on a file share using Microsoft backup.

3. Can I use this to restore the Exchange server to a physical machine as described here  . The backup files are all VHD files so I'm think this might be a problem.

4. Can I use the backup to restore the exchange server to another virtual machine  using the instruction as described in the article above (3)

5. Any other suggestions?

thanks

Raza

• Edited by Raza Usman Saturday, November 9, 2013 6:44 AM
    Friday, November 8, 2013 1:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my experience, it will not lead to a broken Exchange when the two files you mentioned merge.

In case of some improper options that lead to a broken Exchange, you can use Windows Server Backup to backup and restore Exchange server.

Can I use this to restore the Exchange server to a physical machine as described here? The backup files are all VHD files so I'm think this might be a problem.

It is not recommended to do this. Because it may result in data loss.

Can I use the backup to restore the exchange server to another virtual machine using the instruction as described in the article above (3)?

Yes, you can.

Best regards,
    Belinda

Belinda Ma
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by cara chen Sunday, November 17, 2013 1:01 PM
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 9:10 AM