Outlook .oft template (autoreply rule) shows only plain text, no HTML RRS feed

• Question

• If created an Outlook rule that replies to an incoming mail consisting the word's 'Demo registration' in the subject. In order to do so the rule replies with an Outlook .oft template file that's formatted with HTML.

When the autoreply mail is send however it only contains plain text and no HTML, so the mail is ugly formatted and has no pictures or clear hyperlinks in it? This was working properly in former version of Outlook (like 2013/2016 even 365), but since sometime this went wrong. 

Could you please help me out in wich is causing this problem?

Kind regards, Allan B. Hofstede

Wednesday, December 26, 2018 6:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The format would have messed up, if out look encounters a error in HTML tags during the reply it will automatically switch to plain text .

So please re-create the Outlook template in HTML. You can do so by using the Outlook email editor (simply create a new message, design its content and make sure its format is set to HTML) or by using any other HTML editor. If you are designing the Outlook template using an external HTML editor, please make sure that all images are linked using absolute URLs.

https://www.outlook-apps.com/insert-html-to-outlook-emails/

Hope this helps!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please don't forget to “mark the replies as answers if they helped, also set "like" it’s a boost for us to keep blogging J

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated Community forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Kaizala.

• Edited by Thuyavan Ganesan Wednesday, December 26, 2018 7:31 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Wednesday, January 2, 2019 10:09 AM
    Wednesday, December 26, 2018 7:31 PM
  • Hi,

What version of Microsoft Outlook do you use?

How does the autoreply mail look like in your Sent Items folder? 

Does this issue happen with all recipients or just a specific one? This could help determine whether the issue is with the sender side or with the recipient side.

Besides, as Thuyavan Ganesan has suggested, try creating a new template to see whether the issue continues.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Wednesday, January 2, 2019 10:09 AM
    Thursday, December 27, 2018 5:50 AM
  • 

Just wanted to say hi and check if there is anything that I can do for you on this problem. If so, please do not hesitate to let me know and I will be happy to help.

Best regards,
    Steve Fan 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, January 2, 2019 10:09 AM
  • Hi Steve,

I have encountered the same issue, with a set up which used to work without issue.

Outlook 2016 / 365 (Version 1904 Build 11601.20204)

I created a new simple .oft message using HTML format, chose a font face and a large size and save it as a template in my user templates folder.  I made that the object of an autoreply mail box rule.

Even though opening the template message renders as HTML and sends as HTML, when sent by the automatic rule as an autoreply, it is rendered as Plain Text.

It appears as auto text in the sent items folder.  There is nothing indicating that an error has been encountered.  This used to work, but has stopped working.  I cannot be certain when this happened as this mailbox receives few messages.

I have reproduced the issue on two different IMAP email accounts.  Is there any diagnostics I can look for / put tracing on to see what is happening?

Thanks.

• Edited by Townfield Monday, May 20, 2019 9:09 AM
    Sunday, May 19, 2019 4:55 PM