App-V 4.5 Access Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have 4.5 client on XP SP2 with many and various apps sequenced which all work fine except for one or two.
    We create a standard security group in AD along the lines of AppV_MS Office 2007 (full suite) and another called AppV_MS Office_UAT.  Obviously the packages are sequenced accordingly, the full suite gives you the full set of shortcuts in your Programs menu whereas the UAT one provides Word, Excel and PPT only.  In the IT dept everyone is a member of the Office_UAT group and can see the relevant 3 shortcuts and all works well except for the service desk team, they don't get the shortcuts deployed at all since yesterday.  Also, the "full suite" package only has 7 members of IT included and yet 1 other member of IT who is not in this AD group is getting the full Office suite shortcuts and they all work except for Outlook 2007.  The full suite is sequenced to 1 .pkg file.  He gets this error msg:-
    "The specified application does not exist.  Check the name you specified and then try it again.
    4514197-0B20F604-00000A09"

The cache has been cleared for both this user and those on the service desk to no avail.  Furthermore, when I test a group/deployment, I add myself to the AD group to get the App-v app, test it then remove myself however I'm still seeing shortcuts on my Program menu for apps I'm no longer testing and I clear my cache regularly due to the testing I'm doing.  Again, I get the same error.  I've no idea why the service desk don't get the Office_UAT shortcuts at all.  Nothing has changed regarding permissions on these App-v AD groups, they are the same as all others we create.
    Things are a bit random, anyone got any ideas?
    Thanks in advance!
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 11:12 AM

Answers

• Ok, solved it.

Launched Explorer as an Admin.

Ran SftCMC.msc - selected Applications - Deleted all apps.

Closed Explorer and reopened it with my normal day-to-day account.

Ran SftCMC.msc - selected Publishing server in right hand pane - right-click - select Refresh Server.

All apps reappeared and are now working.  This has also gotten rid of the random icons that I should not have been seeing.  Service Desk also working.

The guy who had the full Office suite and should not have is away from the office so I cannot test it fixes his issue too but am very hopeful.

Stevie_Gee
    • Marked as answer by Stevie_Gee Thursday, March 11, 2010 3:38 PM
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 3:38 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Have you reviewed the client log-file?

/Znack
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 11:19 AM
  • Hi Znack,

OK, having cleared my cache earlier, I also no longer have the Office_UAT shortcuts.  Log file shows it working earlier when I starting investigating the issue, it shows the error for the shortcut I still have but shouldn't.  Then it lists the cache being cleared, then there's just the error again for me trying to launch the app that I shouldn't have a shortcut for but do.  I've gone back over the last few days (yesterday was when things started to go strange) and there's the usual entries for launching and closing apps etc.  Nothing odd.  Same for the other users.

Thanks,

Steve
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 11:43 AM
  • Hello,

Perhaps the shortcut isn't placed there via App-v?

/Znack
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 11:52 AM
  • Hi,

My mystery shortcut is pointing to App V in Program Files.  Just don't understand how some can go missing and others are lingering when they shouldn't be.  As mentioned earlier, nothing has changed group wise either.

Steve
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 11:56 AM
  • Ok, solved it.

Launched Explorer as an Admin.

Ran SftCMC.msc - selected Applications - Deleted all apps.

Closed Explorer and reopened it with my normal day-to-day account.

Ran SftCMC.msc - selected Publishing server in right hand pane - right-click - select Refresh Server.

All apps reappeared and are now working.  This has also gotten rid of the random icons that I should not have been seeing.  Service Desk also working.

The guy who had the full Office suite and should not have is away from the office so I cannot test it fixes his issue too but am very hopeful.

Stevie_Gee
    • Marked as answer by Stevie_Gee Thursday, March 11, 2010 3:38 PM
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 3:38 PM