Message rate limit on receive connectors RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

I have configured the receive connectors with message rate limit to 5 per minute since we have application software which sends email to the recipients from the relay. Also the sender address is dummy one which doesn't exists in the mailbox server.

Still the app can send more than 5 messages per minute though i set the message rate limit to 5 and restart the service/server.

Can anyone show some light on this?

Manythanks

David

Sunday, December 14, 2014 2:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The MessageRateLimit parameter specifies the maximum number of messages that a Receive connector accepts from a single IP address per minute.

Refer from

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh529935(v=exchg.141).aspx

Otherwise, we can create a Throttling Policy and enable this policy for a recipient.

This example creates a Throttling Policy named LimitMessagesSent. User can send maximum 300 messages every day and 10 messages per minute.

New-ThrottlingPolicy -Name LimitMessagesSent -RecipientRateLimit 300 -MessageRateLimit 10

Then apply this policy for a user.

Set-Mailbox –Identity “User name” – ThrottlingPolicy LimitMessagesSent

Best Regards.

Monday, December 15, 2014 8:25 AM
  • Hi Lynn-Li,

Yes i had already configure the Messageratelimit to 5 for the Application relay receive connector but it not control message rate and still from appln server (IP address) can send more than 5 messages per minute

Manythanks

David

Monday, December 15, 2014 11:11 AM
  • Hi,

Receive connectors control the flow of inbound messages to your Exchange organization. And the MessageRateLimit parameter specifies the maximum number of received messages, not sent messages from your organization.

In addition, what’s the meaning of “the sender address is dummy one which doesn't exists in the mailbox server.” ?

Best Regards.

Thursday, December 18, 2014 6:23 AM
  • Hi,

I mean we are using application servers to send email via receive connectors and message rate limit 5 (restriction) is not working and connectors has anonymous user rights so we can use any email address which doesnot exist on exchange servers

Manythanks

David 

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 12:05 PM