none
Using DPM 2012 for backing up remote branch office servers locally RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We've got 300+ remote sites, each of which has a single server (currently Win2k3, but going to Win2k12) that functions as a domain controller / SQL server / File and Print etc.

The WAN links are 1Mbps or less and there is typically 300GB+ of data on the remote servers (including the dreaded Outlook PST files)

We would like to backup these remote servers, but keep the backups locally at the remote site rather, than attempt to use the slow WAN.

The backups would ideally be image based snapshots, used purely to speed up the rebuild of a failed server, or to rollback to a good state if we have an issue with our custom applications or a patch.

We would like to backup to either a share on a PC or to an external USB drive (though we could backup to a volume on the server and then copy it off afterwards I guess).

Can DPM 2012 do this ? - it seems to be more focused on a datacentre type scenario and centralising backups .. which is not really an option for us with out WAN links.

We're licensed for DPM 2012 as we use Sys Centre 2012 (SCOM and SCCM at present) to manage all these servers.

We don't really want 300+ DPM servers either, just a central one which can manage the backups without actually sending all the data across the WAN.

Thanks Mark.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 1:55 AM

All replies

• I'm currently running a setup with DPM servers at the central office and one DPM server in each remote office. The DPM server at the remote office is backing up everything at the remote office, including bare metal backup. Everything except for the bare metal backup is then also backup'ed to the central office using secondary protection. This works very well, even over slow WAN links. I can highly recommand that. At the central office we are then also doing B2D2T for the remote office data. If the amount of data is too much for the slow WAN link you can consider doing pre staging using an encrypted USB disk drive to send the data from the remote office to the central office. This also works well. Don't think you could do it with 300+ remote sites... I have done it with more than a dozen remote size though.

DPM can only backup to local disks, not network shares.

If you don't want to have a DPM server at each site, then you can't do what you would like to do with DPM since you have to transfer the data to the DPM server for backup.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 1:53 PM
  • Marcus has a good solution and I would give that a try if you can deploy a DPM servers at the remote sites. If you are unable to deploy DPM servers at each remote site  another option would be to use the built in Windows backup once you upgrade to Server 2012. You could do a BMR backup that is essentially an image of the single server and dump this out to USB drives or a share.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.systemcenterportal.com
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Saturday, January 12, 2013 6:21 AM
  • Thanks for the info.

Does the built in Windows Server 2012 backup handle AD and SQL DBs in its backups ?

AD doesn't matter too much to us (heaps of DCs), but the SQL DBs do as they are unique at each site.

Monday, January 14, 2013 6:40 AM
  • Thanks for the info.

Does the built in Windows Server 2012 backup handle AD and SQL DBs in its backups ?

AD doesn't matter too much to us (heaps of DCs), but the SQL DBs do as they are unique at each site.

WSB can backup Active Directory as a part of System State. See these links for more information on this:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/library/cc816677.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/library/cc816584.aspx

It will not backup SQL in the same way that DPM does and allow you to recover in the way that DPM does. It will backup your SQL at the volume level. I don't think you can restore individual DB's from it. You may be able to restore like .mdf and .ldf files but I dont think you can restore .bak files because it does not create those. Basically WSB will serve a basic purpose of backing up your remote sites for you if you want to protect entire servers and dump the data out to USB drives. WSB will not substitute what you will get when using an enterprise solution. One cool new feature of WSB is you can send the data to Azure.

More info on WSB in Server 2012:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/library/jj614621.aspx

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.systemcenterportal.com
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Monday, January 14, 2013 7:18 PM