none
Upgrading from "Windows 8 OEM" to "Windows 8 Pro" works fine, but adding "Windows Media Center" leads to an unactivated unlicensed System :-( RRS feed

• Question

• My Computer hardware with "Windows 8" license

I got two new notebooks "ASUS K95VB-YZ075H"

obviously with a signature in the BIOS,

that a "Windows 8" license is granted without need to enter a "Windows 8" product key,

if I install from an original "Windows 8" or "Windows 8 Pro" installation media, e.g. an original "Windows 8 Pro" installation DVD.

If you wanna know tips & tricks for this notebook running Windows or Linux, please check my "ASUS K95VB" fan page http://www.hemmerling.com/doku.php/en/asus_k95vb.html

My extra "Windows 8 Pro" and "Windows Media Center" licenses

2 years ago, with my first two "Windows 8" 32-bit computers, I got the chance

- to buy two additional paperbox "Windows 8 Pro" licenses, with DVD installation media and serial number on paper cards, unused until today.

- to collect some FREE "Windows Media Center" licenses, as granted for free by Microsoft prio to  mid/late January 2012, or so. It was possible to get MORE THAN ONE, but several "Windows Media Center" licenses by a single "Windows 8" computer. At that time, you must just "request" the licenses from a computer running "Windows 8 Pro".

So I collected two "Windows 8" licenses and some "Windows Media Center" license keys for the new 64-bit notebook computer(s) I now got finally.

Of course I will continue to use the first two "Windows 8" computers... there I was able to add "Windows Media Center" as feature to my "Windows 8 Pro", and now after upgrade I am there running "Windws 8.1 Pro with Media Center".

My Problem: Upgrading from "Windows 8 OEM" to  "Windows 8 Pro" works fine, but adding "Windows Media Center"  leads to an unactivated unlicensed System :-(

But now about... my new 64-bit notebook computers, shipped with "Windows 8".

Upgrade from "Windows 8" to "Windows 8 Pro" works fine
    • At “Windows Update / Add Features to Windows 8”
      • You can enter your “Windows 8 Pro” key to upgrade your “Windows 8” to “Windows 8 Pro”. “Windows 8 Pro” is immediately activated, according to the “Control Panel / System” screen.
      • After a reboot, now the “Windows 8 Pro” installation is still activated.
    • You may upgrade to “Windows 8.1 Pro”.
    Adding the "Windows Media Center" to "Windows 8" fails
    • At “Windows Update / Add Features to Windows 8”:
      • The once-free “Windows Media Center” product key, originally dedicated to “Windows 8 Pro” is not accepted on “Windows 8” :-(.
    Adding the "Windows Media Center" to "Windows 8 Pro" leads to an unactivated unlicensed System :-(
    • At “Windows Update / Add Features to Windows 8 Pro”:
      • The once-free “Windows Media Center” product key, originally dedicated to “Windows 8 Pro” is accepted.
      • After a reboot, “Windows 8 Pro with Media Center” is displayed on the desktop canvas, but this “Windows 8 Pro with Media Center” installation is non-activated and unlicensed, activation error “0xC004C003”.
    • If you try to change the Windows product key with the “SLUI 3” command, the system rejects the ( same once accepted ) “Windows 8 Pro” product key but requests a product key for “Windows 8 Pro with Media Center” :-(.

So if I try to install my legal "Windows Media Center" licenses, I will ruin my "Windows 8 Pro / Windows 8.1 Pro" installation totally, as it is left in an unlicensed state...

Other threads to this topic:

1. Downgrade from Windows 8 Pro with Media Center to Windows 8 Pro?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8f504959-05be-4869-9884-3e374aa964e5/downgrade-from-windows-8-pro-with-media-center-to-windows-8-pro?forum=w8itprogeneral

2. RTM 8.1 Pro wrecks Windows Media Center

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/76a64a16-dd23-47f7-8115-07293c861267/rtm-81-pro-wrecks-windows-media-center

I told the ASUS hotline about this incident, but probably they can´t do anything, and asking Microsoft's German hotline itself for support is a waste of time.. ( remember what would you be able to do if you were hotline staff member - NOTHING ).

It does not matter if you first upgrade from "Windows 8" to "Windows 8.1", the problem remains, that's why I report it here..

Sincerely

Rolf

• Edited by hemmerling Monday, June 23, 2014 8:53 AM
    Monday, June 23, 2014 8:04 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

To install Windows 8 Media Center Pack, you must be running Windows 8 Pro, that's why you failed to add the media pack to your Winodws 8.

For error you encountered when adding media center pack to windows 8 pro, the activation error 0xC004C003 means that the specified product key is in use, so please make sure that the key you entered for the Media Center pack is not in use in other pcs, this key is different from your Windows 8 pro product key, it's a separate key.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 7:04 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

To install Windows 8 Media Center Pack, you must be running Windows 8 Pro, that's why you failed to add the media pack to your Winodws 8.

For error you encountered when adding media center pack to windows 8 pro, the activation error 0xC004C003 means that the specified product key is in use, so please make sure that the key you entered for the Media Center pack is not in use in other pcs, this key is different from your Windows 8 pro product key, it's a separate key.

Yolanda Zhu

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 7:04 AM
  • Hello Yolanda,

a) I noticed that I can´t install MediaCenter on Win8, but just on Win8 Pro.

b) My problem is, as described, that installing "MediaCenter" on either "Win8 Pro" or "Win8.1 pro", though the "Media Center" key is accepted,

which I once 2 years ago downloaded on ANOTHER "Windows 8 Pro" computer, for free as it was a gift of Microsoft  at that time - You could reserve = get up to 5 Media Center licenses per "Windows 8  Pro" computer for later use on OTHER "Windows 8 Pro" computers - but never used ( i.e. NEVER USED FOR ACTIVATION ),

but after the first reboot, I am running "Windows 8 Pro with Media Center" WITHOUT LICENSE, as shown in the system screen.

Neither my "Windows Media Center Key" nor my "WIndows 8 Pro key" is then accepted to change the situation - I mean the keys I entered just before during the installation process of "Windows 8 Pro" and "Windows Media Center".

I am shure that I did not use the "Windos Media Center" key, as I have a list of personal keys I got for free from Microsoft, and I marked those 2, I used for other "Windows 8 Pro" computers.

So fact is, that with my brand-new computer, 32 Gigabytes of RAM, 4 Cores, "Win8 Pro" installed, I am forced to avoid the installation of "Windows Media Center", though I got valid licenses.

So your answer was not quiet helpful, as it does not change anything.

Sincerely

Rolf

• Edited by hemmerling Sunday, July 6, 2014 12:01 PM
    Sunday, July 6, 2014 11:58 AM
  • Hi,

I suggest you run this tool and see the activation diagnosis,

MGADiag - Microsoft

Or make a phone call to Microsoft Product Activation Center

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929/en-au

It's recommended to buy a genuine product from the offical website\shop.

Yolanda Zhu

Thursday, July 10, 2014 5:43 AM