EXTERNAL mail bouncing from deleted and recreated account RRS feed

• Question

• I do not believe this is the X.500 LegacyExchangeDN issue, as the problem occurs for external users only and the error states it is a DNS issue.  The reply is going to <ADDomain>.local, so that shouldn't resolve properly.  My question is why the .local address is being used and how to fix that.

Here is the error report from a bounced message:

IMCEAEX-_O=FIRST+20ORGANIZATION_OU=EXCHANGE+20ADMINISTRATIVE+20GROUP+20+28FYDIBOHF23SPDLT+29_CN=RECIPIENTS_CN=<User Name>+20<UserLegacyExchangeDN>@<ADDomain>.local

Technical details of permanent failure:
    DNS Error: Domain name not found

Thanks for any ideas,

Eric

Thursday, December 26, 2013 2:31 PM

Answers

• Amy,

We are running Exchange 2010.  While the behavior I saw deviated from all of the reports I came across, adding the X500 address to the user and correcting the LegacyOutlookDN apparently fixed the problem.

Thank you.

E

Friday, December 27, 2013 3:36 PM

All replies

• Does this error only occur when the external party attempts to reply to an email that was sent prior to the deletion of the internal AD account or is this error also received when they create a new email?
    Thursday, December 26, 2013 3:03 PM
  • Unfortunately for my curiosity, but good for my user, is that the X. 500 entry or one of the other repairs I tried fixed the problem.  I also had tried reapplying the Addressing Policy and maybe a few other things.

Thanks for giving it some thought.

Eric

Thursday, December 26, 2013 5:42 PM
  • Hi Eric,

I would like to verify your Exchange version at first.

If you use Exchange 2003, please check the recipient policies. Here is a thread for your reference.

Managing Recipients and Recipient Policies in Exchange Server 2003

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998487(v=exchg.65).aspx

If you use Exchange 2007 or Exchange 2010, please check email address policy. Here is an article for your reference.

Understanding E-Mail Address Policies

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232171(v=exchg.141).aspx

Hope it helps.

Best regards,
    Amy

Amy Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 27, 2013 8:23 AM
  • Amy,

We are running Exchange 2010.  While the behavior I saw deviated from all of the reports I came across, adding the X500 address to the user and correcting the LegacyOutlookDN apparently fixed the problem.

Thank you.

E

Friday, December 27, 2013 3:36 PM
  • Hi Eric,

Thanks for your response.

It's great to hear the good news.

Best regards,
    Amy

Amy Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 1, 2014 9:54 AM