Default Gateway missing after re-start RRS feed

• Question

• System: HP Pavilion Elite HPE Intel i7-950 quad; 9gb; Win 7 Home Premium 64bit up-to-date except Explorer9 which has a contact list bug with gmail.

Network: Intel(R) 82567V-2 Gigabit Network Connection; Netgear WNR3500L-100NAS router; Motorola CPE:25725 Wimax Router/Modem

Wired and Wireless network.

After recent Windows update, Default Gateway missing in adapter settings/local area connection/properties/internet protocol Version 4 (TCIP/IPv4)/Properties/Use the Following....and, obviously, no internet access but LAN access ok.

The fix was identified a few years backby, but why does this problem keep coming back?

1. Open the registry with regedit.exe
    2. Go to the path: HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/Tcpip/Parameters/Interfaces/
    3. Here you'll need to select the CLSID of your networkadapter where you change the settings. You'll probably recognize it by looking at the value IPAddress that will have the IP of this adapter.
    4. Open the value "DefaultGateway" by doubleclicking it. You will see a list of all the gateways that disappeared! (maybe in your case it will be only one, in my case there were due to lots of testing several addresses) Very likely, the first line will be empty. I'm not sure, how this little flaw can make such a big problem. However, if you manually remove this first empty line, click OK and reboot your system everything should be working fine again.

jg

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Saturday, July 23, 2011 8:58 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows Vista Service Packs/Windows Server 2008 Service Packs)
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 5:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This would be caused by the recently changes which occurs to Windows 7, I suggest you reset the TCP\IP to check what the result is.

The reset command is available in the IP context of the NetShell utility. Follow these steps to use the reset command to reset TCP/IP manually:

1.    Open a elevated command prompt. 

2.    At the command prompt, copy and paste (or type) the following command and then press ENTER:

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

3.    Reboot the computer.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Sunday, July 31, 2011 8:57 AM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 8:39 AM