Vista machine freezes with USB mouse activity RRS feed

• Question

• My environment is Vista Ultimate running on an Intel D975XBX2 motherboard with an E6600 Core 2 Duo processor and 2GB of DDR2-PC6400 [800] memory; the graphics card is an ATI Radeon X1950 Pro-512MB.  The situation is that the machine will freeze at different times [requiring a hard shutdown] most noticeably when I have double clicked on something.  At first I suspected my Microsoft Desktop Elite mouse/keyboard for Bluetooth because the mouse would move erratically at times.  I eliminated the Bluetooth devices [and dongle] and switched to a PS/2 keyboard and a USB wheel mouse.

At first the problem seemed to go away, but that was misleading; it has returned with a vengeance.  Just opening Outlook 2003 and clicking to open an email can often trigger the freeze.  I have now eliminated all USB devices by installing a reliable PS/2 mouse.  It has now been two hours without a lock-up.

Yes, I have already installed the most current Intel BIOS and my Vista installation is current with updates, including the reliability / performance fixes released two weeks ago.  Yes, I run an up-to-date CA A/V application as well as CounterSpy, and have run several different online scans without any malware being discovered.

I certainly suspect driver involvement, especially the USB drivers, but I am uncertain how to proceed, or how to diagnose this problem any further.   Any help from the driver and/or Intel experts out there will be most greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 11:11 PM