App-V 5 RDS Publishing RRS feed

• Question

• After some advise on how people are currently providing their App-V 5 apps to RDS/XenApp users.

I'm having a few problems with it currently. I'm logged into an RDS server as an admin user then all is well, when i run the Sync-AppVPublishingServer command I get the apps refreshed and as I'm using the client SP2 beta I also get the nice little progress bar in the bottom right.

A standard user account with nothing more than Domain User rights and a few app-publishing groups do not get the apps listed in the start menu. I also do not get the Sync progress bar on login that should appear with SP2 and the EnablePublishingRefreshUX setting. this would indicate to me that the app-v client is not attempting to Sync on login.

The settings of the client are below, i've blanked the servername.

PS C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0> Get-AppvPublishingServer
    Id                        : 1
    SetByGroupPolicy          : True
    Name                      : <SERVERNAME>
    URL                       : http://<SERVERNAME>:8081
    GlobalRefreshEnabled      : False
    GlobalRefreshOnLogon      : False
    GlobalRefreshInterval     : 0
    GlobalRefreshIntervalUnit : Day
    UserRefreshEnabled        : False
    UserRefreshOnLogon        : True
    UserRefreshInterval       : 1
    UserRefreshIntervalUnit   : Day

The App-V client settings are below.

PS C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0> Get-AppvClientConfiguration
    Name                       Value                               SetByGroupPolicy
    ----                       -----                               ----------------
    PackageInstallationRoot    D:\ProgramData\App-V                            True
    PackageSourceRoot                                                         False
    LocationProvider                                                          False
    AutoLoad                   1                                              False
    EnablePackageScripts       0                                              False
    ReestablishmentInterval    5                                              False
    ReestablishmentRetries     3                                              False
    CertFilterForClientSsl     LOCAL_MACHINE\MY\1.3.6....                     False
    VerifyCertificateRevoca... 1                                              False
    SharedContentStoreMode     1                                               True
    MigrationMode              1                                              False
    RoamingFileExclusions                                                     False
    RoamingRegistryExclusions  SOFTWARE\CLASSES                               False
    AllowHighCostLaunch        0                                              False
    PackageStoreAccessControl  0                                              False
    IntegrationRootUser        %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsof...                     False
    IntegrationRootGlobal      %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Micro...                     False
    VirtualizableExtensions    exe,com,bat,cmd,vbs,ps1...                     False
    ReportingEnabled           1                                               True
    ReportingStartTime         3                                               True
    ReportingRandomDelay       30                                              True
    ReportingInterval          1                                               True
    ReportingServerURL         http://<SERVERNAME>:8082                        True
    ReportingDataCacheLimit    20                                              True
    ReportingDataBlockSize     65536                                           True
    ExperienceImprovementOptIn 0                                               True
    EnablePublishingRefreshUX  1                                              False
    ProcessesUsingVirtualCo... {%SystemRoot%\explorer....                     False
    EnableDynamicVirtualiza... 1                                              False

I'm happy to publish things via XenApp and that is how 4.6 stuff is currently presented, however because of the long delay in syncing app-v 5 apps on first login/launch i would like this sync progress bar to appear so the user knows something is happening.

Users access via a published desktop. So im happy to use either the client or xenapp receiver to populate the start menu.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Keith

Friday, October 25, 2013 4:13 PM

Answers

• For an RDS environment we configured App-V 5.0 as follows:

- Published the applications globally (computer groups)

- Run a startup script on the server "get-appvpublishingserver | sync-appvpublishingserver -Global" (under SYSTEM account).

- Optionally, you could then run a script "get-appvclientpackage -all | mount-appvclientpackage" under SYSTEM account to precache everything. We use SCS mode however, so no need for local cached apps.

- Disable "Global Refresh on User login" (through GPO)

This makes sure that all packages are published when booting the server (publishing all packages takes about 20 minutes (!!!), the bigger packages take several minutes each) and are not refreshed when a user logs in. Users can almost immediately start applications now and the startmenu does not refresh itself dozens of times.

• Edited by Sander Prinsen Tuesday, October 29, 2013 10:27 AM
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, October 29, 2013 7:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Keith Harding Monday, November 4, 2013 3:21 PM
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 10:26 AM

All replies

• Hello,

It says,

UserRefreshEnabled        : False

Perhaps you could toggle this value and test again?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Friday, October 25, 2013 4:18 PM
  • Have now enabled it. I thought this setting referred to the enable refresh interval, so wasn't bothered about interval refreshes.

I now get the progress bar on the standard session login. It does take a while to appear though. up to a minute to appear then the refresh takes another 1.5 mins. Even after this completed i only get the App-V Client UI presented in the start menu and not the rest of the apps published to the user.

I have my apps published to the domain users group so the user should see them.

Friday, October 25, 2013 5:47 PM
  • Ok scratch the last post. Got it presenting all the apps now and they correctly launch. Looks like a corrupt profile was causing strange refresh results.

I'm still a little concerned at the amount of time it takes before a session becomes usable though. Login takes approx 20-30 seconds, its then followed by a 3 minute wait for app refreshes before anything can be launched. I'm fairly sure users are going become pretty frustrated with this, especially since their existing 4.6 apps are immediately available.

Any suggestions on speeding things up?

Thanks

Friday, October 25, 2013 5:57 PM
  • 3 minutes is pretty long!

Have you troubleshooted startup services on your machine? Perhaps there's actually a different service which kicks off that takes a while to process and holds up App-V

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Friday, October 25, 2013 6:53 PM
  • Hello,

See this post;

http://blogs.technet.com/b/gladiatormsft/archive/2013/09/25/app-v-on-registry-staging-and-how-it-can-affect-vdi-environments.aspx

I would try to identify if there is a specific package causing this

Friday, October 25, 2013 9:15 PM
  • Ok, I have managed to slightly reduce the amount of time to initially load the apps. Mainly by not pre-caching the apps with the Mount-AppVClientpackage command on server reboot. No idea why this is the case I would have thought mounting the apps would make local access faster. The servers are VM's hosted on some fairly beefy netapp storage, so disk I/O shouldn't be an issue.

I have no doubt on which app is causing the large slowdown on first login, Office 2010.

This is a 5GB app with 12,000 files, due to the need to publish Office with the language packs.

Unpublishing Office then completing "Remove-AppVClientPackage Office2010" as an admin from the server allow the application load to take approx 15-20 seconds instead to the usual 3 mins.

Would sequencing Office with feature block 1 help? Any suggestions for Office package optimisation, it was sequenced following the usual guides on-line. I've not removed the MSOCache so that could be stripped out to save a few megs of space and files.

Thanks

Monday, October 28, 2013 11:29 AM
  • Hello,

1. Use Feature Block 1

2. remove any unnecessary services

3. Publish globally

4. Mount the package globally

Try those and see if it makes a difference

Monday, October 28, 2013 11:33 AM
  • Ok completed the above sequencing using FB1 and publishing globally.
    Mount globally I'm unsure of however a mount-appvclientpackage is taking place at the server boot time, so the apps should reside locally for the user to launch. Couldn't find a -Global switch for this one.

Still no change I'm afraid.
    Still taking over 2 mins before app launch is possible. The App-V progress bar doesn't seem to begin until about the 1:30 mark, even though the AppVClient.exe process is using 50% CPU as soon as the desktop displays.

The Office 2010 package is now reduced to about 2.5GB rather then the 5GB it was before. This is mainly due to removing the MSOCache. Unfortunately the time to load doesn't seem to have reduced by much.

Appreciate the help, any other suggestions?

Thanks

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 10:11 AM
  • For an RDS environment we configured App-V 5.0 as follows:

- Published the applications globally (computer groups)

- Run a startup script on the server "get-appvpublishingserver | sync-appvpublishingserver -Global" (under SYSTEM account).

- Optionally, you could then run a script "get-appvclientpackage -all | mount-appvclientpackage" under SYSTEM account to precache everything. We use SCS mode however, so no need for local cached apps.

- Disable "Global Refresh on User login" (through GPO)

This makes sure that all packages are published when booting the server (publishing all packages takes about 20 minutes (!!!), the bigger packages take several minutes each) and are not refreshed when a user logs in. Users can almost immediately start applications now and the startmenu does not refresh itself dozens of times.

• Edited by Sander Prinsen Tuesday, October 29, 2013 10:27 AM
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, October 29, 2013 7:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Keith Harding Monday, November 4, 2013 3:21 PM
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 10:26 AM
  • Hi,

I'm now getting some better success using the above configuration of the global publishing without user refreshes. It definately seems to be a faster method for RDS user logins.

Th issue I'm now getting is that as the refresh is completed under the SYSTEM account for some reason the Office2010 package is not being synced, published or mounted, the package has the same AD permissions as the other packages. The following errors appear in the event log but its doesn't really tell me anything about the reason for failure. Running the same script as an interactive user correctly retrieves the package, so I know the package is working correctly.

Log Name:      Microsoft-AppV-Client/Admin

Source:        Microsoft-AppV-Client
    Event ID:      19104
    Description:
    Part or all packages publish failed.
     published: 10
     failed: 1 
    Please check the error events of 'Configure/Publish Package' before this message for the details of the failure.

I know its the Office package failing as the next messages says the connection group failed due to package failure.

Failed to publish group due to the failure of the package.
     Group GUID: {b61e5e5b-6b3d-4a2c-8e72-d544b04a3dae}
     Group Version GUID: {bcbdfe7a-19b2-4e25-ac23-a9cf8933312d}
     Package GUID: {25fe5707-8f3a-4bb5-bbc2-250acd5e0271}

I have tried modifying COM interaction and also reverting the package to default configuration but still no joy.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Keith

Thursday, October 31, 2013 4:39 PM
  • Further to the above I've turned every debug log on i can find and can only come up with the following error appearing during a publishing refresh.

Log Name:      Microsoft-AppV-Subsystems-SPAD/Debug
    Source:        Microsoft-AppV-Subsystems-SPAD
    Date:          01/11/2013 12:36:30
    Event ID:      118
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Description:
    Capabilities data is not supplied [Access.Application.14]
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-AppV-Subsystems-SPAD" Guid="{86229e55-77a1-4da1-8dda-b56bdab34915}" />
        <EventID>118</EventID>
        <Version>1</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-11-01T12:36:30.965734100Z" />
        <EventRecordID>9</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="1636" ThreadID="1564" ProcessorID="0" KernelTime="44911" UserTime="5012" />
        <Channel>Microsoft-AppV-Subsystems-SPAD/Debug</Channel>
        <Computer>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="string">Access.Application.14</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Beats me what "Capabilities data is not supplied [Access.Application.14]" actually means. the rest of the apps seem fine and this app was packaged during the same sequencing session.

Any help gratefully received.

Update:

One the above message is received i can see that the client then unpublished
    the office 2010 package and its applications. Still no clue what the capabilities data is that its looking for on MS Access though.

Friday, November 1, 2013 1:08 PM
  • Update to the above.

I have now discovered this publishing failure for the Office 2010 package only occurs when running a Global Sync-AppVPublishingServer. Doing a sync without the -Global works fine with all apps but only the current user can then "see the apps". Syncing with -Global works fine with users "seeing" all apps except office which fails with the message in the previous post.

Monday, November 4, 2013 3:19 PM
  • Hello,

SPAD is a virtual subsystem (an extension point actually), see this article;

http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2013/01/03/microsoft-application-virtualization-5-0-integration.aspx

As noted in the article;

Notes:

1. As of App-V client 5.0 this subsystem is integrated only when package is published globally

2. For more information, see Set Program Access and Computer Defaults (SPAD) on MSDN

This subsystem would then only cause a failure on a global publish.

You could;

1. Disable the entire subsystem

2. Disable the access-part of the subsystem

3. See what is actually supposed to be published and check if there is a defect to be found.

Monday, November 4, 2013 4:28 PM
  • Hi,

Just to finish this thread off i thought i'd update with the fix fot the strange SPAD event ID 118 i was receiving above.

For some reason during sequencing when attempting to capture capabilities for the Access application no capabilities were found. The sequencer however still added the capabilities key to the deployment confix xml.

Commenting the following xml code out of the deployment config fixed the issue.

<Extension Category="AppV.ApplicationCapabilities">
                <ApplicationCapabilities>
                  <Reference>
                    <Name>Access.Application.14</Name>
                    <Path>SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Access\Capabilities</Path>
                  </Reference>
                  <CapabilityGroup />
                </ApplicationCapabilities>
              </Extension>

It was this lack of capabilities that caused the error message.

Maybe a sequencing bug or just something funny with office 2010 sequencing.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 9:38 AM