none
Change local admin password for Task Sequence. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a deployment task sequence that is fully configured and works well, however I need to change the local admin password that was set back when I created the task sequence.

I can see the local admin password in the unattended.xml file, but that only controls which password the system uses to logon as the local admin, it doesn't actually set the password.

Any ideas where I can set a new local admin password for the task sequence?

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 2:14 PM

All replies

• Go to your task sequence properties, on the OS Info tab, click on Edit Unattended.xml. This should bring up the Windows System Image Manager, where you can safely modify your unattended.xml.

And yes it actually set's the local password, which is used to logon to the machine with, during deployment.

Another option is to set a run commandline at the very end of the task sequence, that changes the local admin password:

Use the following command: cmd /c net user user_name  new_password

And paste the following rule in your customsettings.ini:

FinishAction=LOGOFF to logoff the machine, REBOOT to reboot the machine, or SHUTDOWN to shutdown the machine.

Cheers!

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

• Marked as answer by Keith GarnerMVP, Moderator Tuesday, July 8, 2014 3:25 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by LPSMMB Tuesday, July 8, 2014 5:11 PM
    • Proposed as answer by epavvol Sunday, August 20, 2017 8:29 AM
    Tuesday, July 8, 2014 2:33 PM
  • OK, let me see if I can change it in Windows System Image Manager first.

I'm making the change in "7 oobe System" -> amd64_Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup_neutral -> AutoLogon -> Password -> Value

I'll start an deployment of that Task Sequence and let you know.

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 2:41 PM
  • I changed the value noted in the last post, but it only resulted in an "invalid password" error when the task sequence tries to logon to Windows.  I can manually enter the old password (the one I selected when I created the task sequence) but I still want to change that password. 

If no one has any ideas on how to change it as part of the task sequence I will try the cmd alternative instead, but I would rather find a way to do it through the task sequence.

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 5:14 PM
  • This is long dead, but what the heck.

When you first create a task sequence in MDT I believe the password you enter is put into variables.dat as well as the unattended.xml for that task sequence. Only luck I've had with changing the local admin password of a task sequence a few months afterwards is to create a new task sequence and copy everything over.

Friday, February 10, 2017 6:10 PM
  • Use the tool that is for editing unattend WSIM.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Saturday, February 11, 2017 8:35 AM
  • You can also control the password using customsettings.ini. No need to edit anything else.

AdminPassword=YourSecretPassword

Sunday, February 12, 2017 11:24 AM
  • OK, let me see if I can change it in Windows System Image Manager first.

I'm making the change in "7 oobe System" -> amd64_Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup_neutral -> AutoLogon -> Password -> Value

I'll start an deployment of that Task Sequence and let you know.

This sets the AutoLogon password. To change the local admin password you need to go further down from AutoLogon to UserAccounts ->Administrator Acoount. This will change the local admin password.
    Sunday, February 12, 2017 3:38 PM