Windows 7 Nov 2011 update broke my laptop - black screen RRS feed

• Question

• Following automatic update on Nov 12, my laptop only boots to a black screen, though I can see the cursor. Occasionally it progresses after a long time to windows proper, though none of my desktop is displayed and nothing works.

Tried running malwarebytes full scan (basic scan showed no malware) in safe mode but it crashes to black screen pretty quickly. Avista antivirus is unresponisve in safe mode.

Most annoyingly, when I try to access system restore, it loads but everything is whited out in the window and the radio buttons are blank. This also occurs if I try to get into advanced display settings. I checked my nvidia graphic driver and it said it was fully updated.

Via control panel in safe mode I was able to uninstall the Nov 12 updates. Restarting took about an hour of blue screen 'Configuring Windows ...% complete' and then took my to normal desktop. However, it was incredibly slow and unresponsive - basically unusable. Was wondering when I did the restart whether those stupid Nov 12 updates would ahve got back in.

Would appreciate any help, thanks.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:27 AM

All replies

• Another method of doing a system restore is System Restore from Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt:
    On boot-up, press F8 to get to the boot menu. Select Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt. Once it's up, type in
       %systemroot%\system32\rstrui.exe

and press Enter. That will bring up the System Restore GUI. Select a time before the update. (There may be a point that says "Windows Update" or "Critical Update" from the date they were installed. If so, choose it.)
     Once the system is restored and you've booted into Windows (assuming that fixed the problem), go into Control Panel > Windows Updates and pick Change Settings from the left column. Instead of using the recommended auto-update, pick either the second or third option. That way, they won't be installed until you approve it. When the update is offered again, uncheck it, then right-click on it and select "Hide this update. . ." That will prevent it from reinstalling.

SC Tom

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:48 PM
  • Thanks Tom, sadly that did not work as there are no system restore points.

I can quite regularly get into windows proper now, but everything runs tremendously slowly - any ideas?

Friday, November 18, 2011 12:04 PM

• Too bad. On to something new :-)

First place to look for performance issues and other errors would be your event log. The 3 main sections to look in are System, Application, and Security. I'd start there and try to correct any recurring errors.

SC Tom

Friday, November 18, 2011 12:22 PM
  • OK, am looking at the event log for today, which is 6 days after the update and has included numerous system hangs, lag and power-offs as I've tried different ways (safe mode debuggin mode etc) of starting up,

Now in safe mode which is fine as long as I dont try to start my avira antivirus and possible other programs.

Application event viewer has hundres of ehrrors:

on the day of the update, got my (paid-for) Avira invalid license error; git several warnings, event IDs of which were 6000 (winlogon) 507 (source for this was ESENT) and 508 which was also ESENT

security has error eventID1101 (audit events have been droped by transport)

system has many service control manager errors

Not quite sure how I go about addressing all these

Friday, November 18, 2011 1:25 PM

• I would worry more about the current errors and warnings since they are what is causing the slow-down. If Avira is still throwing errors, uninstall it, reboot, and reinstall it.

Here are a couple of articles that might be worth reading:
    How to "clean boot" in Windows 7    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796
    How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Have you booted from your Win7 DVD and done a Start-up Repair? Did it have any effect at all?

SC Tom

Friday, November 18, 2011 4:44 PM
  • Thanks foir replying again.

chk dsk is still running. Seemed to hang for ages not doing anything and might have now resrted itself (have been away from computer, Will try your cl ean boot when I finally get out of it.

Windows 7 came with the laptop but I have no cd for it

Friday, November 18, 2011 4:49 PM