SCOM 2012 SP1 Linux Discovery results in 'Value cannot be null' RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've been going round in circles for the past two days trying to resolve this problem.  I have a single Linux server that I wish to monitor as part of my SCOM setup.  Unfortunately no matter what I try I can't seem to 'discover' it.  The error I get each time is as follows:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unexpected DiscoveryResult.ErrorData type.  Please file bug report.
    ErrorData: System.ArgumentNullException
    Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: s
       at System.Activities.WorkflowApplication.Invoke(Activity activity, IDictionary`2 inputs, WorkflowInstanceExtensionManager extensions, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.Activities.WorkflowInvoker.Invoke(Activity workflow, IDictionary`2 inputs, TimeSpan timeout, WorkflowInstanceExtensionManager extensions)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.CrossPlatform.ClientActions.DefaultDiscovery.InvokeWorkflow(IManagedObject managementActionPoint, DiscoveryTargetEndpoint criteria, IInstallableAgents installableAgents)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've performed the following:

1. http://operatingquadrant.com/2012/01/12/opsmgr-unixlinux-heartbeat-failures-after-applying-kb2585542/ Removing the hotfix and adding the registry entry back in.

2. Remove Runas accounts and add them back in

3. Remove all the 2007 cross platform Linux MPs - attempt discovery - receive exactly the same error.

4. Re-import all the 2007 cross platform Linux MPs

5. rebooted the server several times.

It doesn't seem to matter what I do, I always get the same error.  I found this particularly puzzling when I tried it after removing the Linux MPs.

Any help with this problem would be great.

Thanks,

Tim

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 1:44 PM

Answers

• Tim,

Critrix XenApp servers are not supported and the script that runs against the OS during discovery is throwing an error from the returned data or lack of returned data.

Regards,

-Steve

• Marked as answer by The_Ronin_69 Monday, April 15, 2013 3:40 PM
    Monday, April 15, 2013 3:32 PM
  • Tim,

XenServer is not supported either. When discovery runs against an unsupported OS, if it cannot collect the data required to determine the OS properly it will throw the error you are seeing. It does not have anything to do with the XenServer but does affect the discovery MPs as we look for specific information and if it's null, which is what is being returned in the error above, we fail. I believe we could do a better job with the error being returned to give the user some idea what is going on but essentially it's telling you discovery cannot determine the OS you are trying to discover because null values are being returned.

Regards,

-Steve

• Marked as answer by The_Ronin_69 Monday, April 15, 2013 4:06 PM
    Monday, April 15, 2013 3:53 PM

All replies

• Can you give us a couple of specific pieces of information?

1. What version of OpsMgr are you using?  OpsMgr 2007 R2?  Or System Center 2012 OpsMgr?  Or the 2012 version with SP1?
    2. What Linux distro and version are you trying to discover?

Michael Kelley, Lead Program Manager, System Center Cross Platform

Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:08 PM
  • Hi Michael,

We are using SCOM 2012 SP1 upgraded from SCOM 2012.

We are trying to discover a Citrix XenApp 6.0.2 server.

Thanks,

Tim

Monday, April 15, 2013 1:58 PM
  • Tim,

Critrix XenApp servers are not supported and the script that runs against the OS during discovery is throwing an error from the returned data or lack of returned data.

Regards,

-Steve

• Marked as answer by The_Ronin_69 Monday, April 15, 2013 3:40 PM
    Monday, April 15, 2013 3:32 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info.  I made a typo and meant to write XenServer.  Though I'm grateful you've indicated what the error might mean.  It seems it's likely a problem with the XenServer or the MP that governs discovery.

Monday, April 15, 2013 3:40 PM
  • Tim,

XenServer is not supported either. When discovery runs against an unsupported OS, if it cannot collect the data required to determine the OS properly it will throw the error you are seeing. It does not have anything to do with the XenServer but does affect the discovery MPs as we look for specific information and if it's null, which is what is being returned in the error above, we fail. I believe we could do a better job with the error being returned to give the user some idea what is going on but essentially it's telling you discovery cannot determine the OS you are trying to discover because null values are being returned.

Regards,

-Steve

• Marked as answer by The_Ronin_69 Monday, April 15, 2013 4:06 PM
    Monday, April 15, 2013 3:53 PM
  • Hi Steve,

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the info.

Tim

Monday, April 15, 2013 4:07 PM