none
Robocopy Question RRS feed

• Question

• I have robocopy XP010.

We are a 2003 Domain. I need to copy data from one drive to another drive that is bigger. This is not a boot drive.

I think I have successfully done this by first using ..

robocopy "d:\Public"  \\backup\h$ /e  /z  /copy:data /log:copylog.txt /Tee /R:0 /w:0 /eta

Then I used...

robocopy "d:\Public" \\backup\h$ /e  /z /sec /xo /xn /xc /log:copylog_sec.txt /tee /R:0 /w:0 /eta

After some reading though Im confused and  have two questions .... well maybe more.

1. Is this all I need to do. Should the files be Exactly in every way the same.

2. In stead of doing this as a two step process how do I do it in a one step process. Keeping in mind that I want the files to be exact duplicates to the others, so everything is the same, so that I can just swap the drives and Im done. I have seen the following parameters but Im confused about what the differences are or which I should use.

/COPYALL : Copy ALL file info (equivalent to /COPY:DATSOU)

or

/SEC : Copy files with SECurity (equivalent to /COPY:DATS).

I can see that the copyall includes O=Owner info, U=aUditing info. Wouldnt this be what I should really do if I want everything the same. I cant really see why you would not want the owner info? Im not sure what auditing info is Ive never used it. But also if I want an exact copy I would think that I want this also.

Could someone clarify.

Thanks. 

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 2:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can use the /COPYALL parameter to copy the files with all file information. Whether to use /COPYALL or /SEC just depends on your requirement.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, September 27, 2010 3:05 AM