scsm 2012 r2 UR8 Multiple Self Service Portal instances on the same web server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there folks!

I've got SCSM 2012 R2, with UR8 (for the portal) and UR9 (everywhere else) running and happy. I have a portal set up for one of my "divisions" (aka. forest as an example), and what to set up another portal for a separate "division" (aka separate forest) of inventory items (systems). Is there a way I can do this utilizing the same web server, inside our DMZ? It's just a web server, doing only portal functions, so it's separated in the DMZ from the other servers outside the DMZ (databases, data warehouse, service manager management server), so I'm hoping to leverage it for more portal "instances", that can have their own branding, including separate email, phone number contacts, logos, etc.

Can I do this, and any documentation to reference would be appreciated!

mpleaf

Friday, February 12, 2016 9:32 PM

Answers

• It's possible to deploy more than one portal servers connecting the same SCSM environment.

Different deployment scenarios are descriibed here: New Self Service Portal Deployment Scenarios and Troubleshooting

Hope this helps.

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

• Proposed as answer by Andreas BaumgartenMVP Sunday, February 14, 2016 7:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by mpleaf Tuesday, February 16, 2016 4:52 PM
    Saturday, February 13, 2016 1:59 AM
  • With new portal one of our main design goal was to have stateless WebAPPs, which allow us to run multiple nodes in parallel or replace webapp nodes very easily without any issue.

Regarding different branding, you can customize them in each individual instance by having different values in web.config as mentioned in "Basic Customization" section of https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt622142.aspx

Sunday, February 14, 2016 6:13 PM

All replies

• It's possible to deploy more than one portal servers connecting the same SCSM environment.

Different deployment scenarios are descriibed here: New Self Service Portal Deployment Scenarios and Troubleshooting

Hope this helps.

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

• Proposed as answer by Andreas BaumgartenMVP Sunday, February 14, 2016 7:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by mpleaf Tuesday, February 16, 2016 4:52 PM
    Saturday, February 13, 2016 1:59 AM
  • With new portal one of our main design goal was to have stateless WebAPPs, which allow us to run multiple nodes in parallel or replace webapp nodes very easily without any issue.

Regarding different branding, you can customize them in each individual instance by having different values in web.config as mentioned in "Basic Customization" section of https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt622142.aspx

Sunday, February 14, 2016 6:13 PM
  • I wasn't asking if I could deploy more than one portal "server", I was asking if I could deploy more than one portal on a single server. That being said, it seems to me that you and the article are suggesting multiple servers to accomplish this.

Thanks much!

mpleaf

• Edited by mpleaf Tuesday, February 16, 2016 4:58 PM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 4:56 PM
  • This also seems to indicate the need for more than one portal server as the way to accomplish this. There was never a question about the branding. I realize the way to do that, just mentioned it as a reason why I wanted more than one portal.

Thanks much!

mpleaf

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 4:58 PM