App-V 5.0 SP2 with Mandatory Profiles RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are having some issues with App-V 5.0 SP2 with HFX2 and HFX4 on our Windows 7 x64 Clients

We use mandatory profiles and delete the local profile on logoff,

HFX2 Issue:

The AppData\Local\Microsoft\AppV\Client\VFS\<GUID> is only created once, subsequent logins don't have the folder structure created for the package VFS and all folders have read/write access for the user, when they should follow the base OS folder permissions

We have found that a registry entry is created in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\AppV\MAV\Configuration\Packages\<GUID>\UserConfigEx\<USER-GUID>

if we manually delete this registry key then appv will re-create the VFS folders in local app data

AppV seems to be setting key's saying its created those folders and expects them to be there on the next login, is there a way to tell AppV that we are using mandatory profiles and to re-create the folders?

HFX4 Issue:

Hotfix 4 is a bigger problem in that a registry entry for <USER-GUID> is created in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\AppV\Client\Virtualzation\LocalVFSSecuredUser

The first time appv is used for that user, it works, all subsequent times appv packages fail to load unless that registry string is manually deleted.

Is there any way to fix App-V 5 to work with mandatory profiles which are deleted on logoff?

Thanks!

Monday, June 30, 2014 12:55 PM

All replies

• Hi, 

are you using a user profile management solution that is able to save&restore user settings?

MS recommends some folders and HKCU locations to be managed with and some other locations to be excluded from UEM tools:

Performance Guidance for Application Virtualization 5.0  tells a little about the general guideline. As an example for your UEM solution you could use the UE-V template as a pattern 

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Monday, June 30, 2014 1:06 PM
  • Hi Falko,

Yes - we do use RES Workspace Manager for profile management,

However, currently we only remember file / registry settings for specific applications,

We have almost 300 App-V applications on the network and the majority don't need any personalisation - so we can run them as they are packaged and discard any changes made by the end user.

The level of profile bloat that could come over time from saving all app-v settings would be huge and something we have been trying to avoid by using profile management and mandatory profiles,

I've looked at the Performance Guidelines when HFX4 came out - we publish all of our apps globally and have not had problems with a publishing refresh taking a long time which these Guidelines seemed to be a solution for.  I couldn't find any options in the documentation for not saving the user settings?

edit: - thanks for the quick response!

• Edited by ColVI Monday, June 30, 2014 1:44 PM
    Monday, June 30, 2014 1:14 PM
  • Hello,

Any reason that you can not delete those registry keys during logoff / logon using RES WM?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Monday, June 30, 2014 4:33 PM
  • Hi Nicke,

The registry key's are located in HKLM, which causes permission problems as our uses are all standard users

the HFX2 issue sort of works, the UserConfigEx key is created with the logged on user having read/write permissions, so as long as that user successfully runs a logoff script then the key is deleted, if the desktop crashes without running the logoff script and a new user logs in, then they don't have the rights to delete the sub keys and all future app-v localappdata VFS permissions are broken on that client,

The HFX4 issue registry keys are all write protected from standard users,

I'm not 100% sure these are the only area's which are causing problems (they are just the ones I've found!) and that just deleting the registry entries completely fixes the problem.  I didn't go down the path of deleting HKLM keys as a user as it seemed a bit of a brute force hack to me which I was trying to avoid :)

If I give users rights to delete HKLM\Software\Microsoft\AppV\MAV\Configuration\Packages subkeys then I think they could break published applications if the <GUID> folders are somehow deleted?

I was actually pretty surprised to find out that App-V 5.0 stores permanent information about user's in the HKLM hive, I would have thought all of this should live in the HKCU hive!

I've not been able to find any documentation on how App-V uses HKLM keys to keep track of processes its already performed on a user and doesn't want to do again,

Thanks!

Monday, June 30, 2014 5:11 PM
  • Hello,

I am sorry, I though that a trigger (logoff / logon) could trigger an action in Another context (system for example). I haven't dealt with RES in a while, but Appsense made that possible.

But yes, if executing the action as user it would not be possible to remove the registry key without altering the permissions.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Monday, June 30, 2014 5:25 PM
  • Hi Nicke,

No worries! thanks for trying to help!

I believe that actions in an elevated context are part of one of the modules we don't have unfortunately, we only have the basic user context environment management part of RES! (Budget issues in UK College's :) )

Monday, June 30, 2014 5:30 PM