none
Migration from SBS2008 to Windows Server 2019 Standard

Question

• Hi!

I have Googled for a guide on how to migrate from an old SBS 2008 to a Windows Server 2019 Standard, but unsuccessful.

Today we have:
    - SBS 2008 (I don’t think it’s an “R2”.)
    - O365 in cloud (mail)
    … this means that the SBS 2008 also run Azure AD Connect to sync user accounts against cloud.

We’ve bought a new Windows Server 2019 Standard server and want to migrate to that.

My idea is to:
    - Turn off Azure AD Connect on the old server (I assume Office 365 can manage on its own as long as I don't add/change/delete any users, i.e. “turn off” Azure AD Connect will not affect the email-users?).
    - Join new server's Domain Controller to the old server's DC.
    - Migrate AD from old computer to the new server.
    - Migrate DHCP server from old to new server.
    - More?
    - Close old server
    - Start Azure AD Connect on the new server

Something like that.

Most guides I find is about SBS2008 to WS 2016 Essentials. As 2019 doesn’t have Essentials (?), I assume that I must be able to migrate to a pure 2019 (standard)?
    I really need a step by step description on how to do this, where can I get help? It's no meaning to provide me with links to pages with tons of details/text, I just need a simple guide on how to migrate, it really shouldn't be rocket since, right?

Please advise me!

br
    /Marcus    
    Monday, May 20, 2019 5:22 PM

All replies

• Hey Marcus - Not sure if you've checked out the Server Essentials website (just Google for it)?  They have a ton of migration guides, and I found it very helpful for a recent migration that I did from 2008 to 2016.  Yes, there is a fee to obtain the guide but the time it saved me on it was well worth it.  And Mariette (the person who runs the site) was very helpful when I had other questions.  Good luck!
    Monday, May 20, 2019 8:01 PM
  • Hi,

As you had mentioned that, Office 365 with AAD has been deployed, I would recommend you to consider of swing migration about AAD – with 2 servers, prepare one of the servers with the new release or configuration, and change the active server when you're ready. 

Swing migration:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/hybrid/how-to-upgrade-previous-version#swing-migration

Migrating from SBS to Standard server, the main job is DC migration, steps are similar as general DC migration. Steps as below:
    1. Prepare SBS for migration, such as check/install update/hotfix, check system(sfc) and DC(dcdiag) health, DC health, backup system and important data.

2. Install WS 2019 as replica DC. 

How to Migrate Windows Server 2008 R2 FSMO roles to Windows Server 2019:
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/ITOps-Talk-Blog/How-to-Migrate-Windows-Server-2008-R2-FSMO-roles-to-Windows/ba-p/538377

3. Move settings and data to new server, including other server roles migration, such as DNS, DHCP and etc.

4. Un-install Connector.exe on client system, this process will not un-join client system from domain.

5. Migrate AAD about O365.

6. Demote and remove old SBS.

Below is an article about “Migrate SBS 2011 Standard to Windows Server 2016”, just for your reference:
    https://windowsserveressentials.com/2017/03/28/migrate-sbs-2011-standard-to-windows-server-2016/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 2:14 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang   

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 23, 2019 1:42 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, May 27, 2019 2:47 AM