none
Dynamic Disk used by DPM showing as "Invalid" - Possibly the stupidest Microsoft KB ever! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I logged on to one of our DPM servers this morning (a W2k8R2 server running DPM 2007) to see that all my backups had failed. DPM is showing the error:

The disk Disk 1 - HP LOGICAL VOLUME SCSI Disk Device cannot be detected or has stopped responding. All subsequent protection activities that use this disk will fail until the disk is brought back online. (ID 3120)

If I open Disk Management the status of the disk shows as "invalid". The server is an HP so I checked the status of the logical drive using HP tools and it is fine, this doesn't appear to be a hardware issue. I've come across a Microsoft KB article that exactly describes the problem (kb962975). I'd like to say a massive thanks to MS here for their brilliant resolution:

This update does not resolve the problem that is described in this article after this problem occurs. This update only prevents the problem if this update is installed in advance.

Well surprisingly enough I didn't install an update to prevent a problem that I didn't know existed! The problem has already occurred so it seems that all the disk based backups on my DPM server are gone. Has anyone come across this before? Is there any way to get back this data or do I have to trash the disk and setup all my protection groups again?

Monday, November 22, 2010 3:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

That particular article only applies to Windows 2008 - not Windows 2008 R2 which is what you are running, so apparently there must be a different cause.  If you open a support incident with the Windows support group, they may be able to help you get the disk back online.

If you cannot wait and must get your servers back into protection, you can clean wipe the disk and let DPM recreate the missing volumes and start new protection.

1) Run diskpart.exe from administrative command prompt.
         list disk
         select disk #  (where # is the disk that is invalid)
         clean            (This will wipe all data from the drive)
         exit

2) Now run dpmsync -reallocatereplica  (DPM will create all new volumes)

3) After above completes, open DPM console and under the protection tab, run CC on all the data sources.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, November 22, 2010 11:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

That particular article only applies to Windows 2008 - not Windows 2008 R2 which is what you are running, so apparently there must be a different cause.  If you open a support incident with the Windows support group, they may be able to help you get the disk back online.

If you cannot wait and must get your servers back into protection, you can clean wipe the disk and let DPM recreate the missing volumes and start new protection.

1) Run diskpart.exe from administrative command prompt.
         list disk
         select disk #  (where # is the disk that is invalid)
         clean            (This will wipe all data from the drive)
         exit

2) Now run dpmsync -reallocatereplica  (DPM will create all new volumes)

3) After above completes, open DPM console and under the protection tab, run CC on all the data sources.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, November 22, 2010 11:31 PM
  • Why are MS employees allowed to mark their solution as the answer when all they are proposing is that I phone them with my credit card details ready?
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 8:04 AM
  • Hi Mike,

I have the same problem on a customer's DPM server.

PowerEdge Server under W2008R2 std and DPM2010, 4Tbytes of DPM Disk on Perc Raid 5

This morning, the server has been stopped and restarted for maintenance raison. Since this action, the dynamic disk used by DPM is marked as "Invalid".

Does your procedure means that all the DPM data will be lost ? (Replicas and RestorationPoints)
    Does the ConsistencyCheck make a equivalent of an Initial Replication ?

How do you explain this Invalid disk status ?

What is possible to do to never have this problem again ?

Thanks for our answers.
    Francois

Thursday, November 25, 2010 6:48 PM
  • Hi guys,

I know that this post is outdated but I was still hoping to get an answer.

I have an HP Proliant ML110 G5 server with Windows server 2008R2 only dedicated for DPM 2010. This server has a limit in HD of 8TB which has already been met. 

I'm now stuck in this situation where my disk keeps failing "Disk failed or Disk not found" in the disk management. Only after I reboot the system the disk comes back up. Today I was running my monthly tape backup on a certain protection group and the disk failed again while the tape job was running (so the job wasn't completed).

This is the description of the error in the alerts: "The disk Disk 1 - Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 SCSI Disk Device cannot be detected or has stopped responding. All subsequent protection activities that use this disk will fail until the disk is brought back online. (ID 3120)".

My backup system is becoming useless! I don't think that is a hardware issue (please correct me if I'm wrong) since the HD works fine for a certain period of time which is becoming shorter and shorter.

I basically have no more option to fix this problem. I tried to fix any error that was coming up in the event viewer with no luck (included one regarding the SQL2008 compatibility issue). The disk keeps failing! Now I'm only trying to recover/migrate the data from the disk that is having problem but my issue now is that I cannot add any drives to my server since I already got installed the maximum storage capacity 8TB.

I thought about 2 simple options. Please tell me what you guys think about it;

1. Unplug one of the 2 storage pool disks (disk0, that one without problem) from the machine and install a new one in order to migrate the data with the Migration tool for DPM. Remove the defective disk (disk1), put back the disk0 and run the synchronization/consistency check on all the groups to recreate replicas and recovery points.

2. Run diskpart.exe and clean up the disk (loosing all data) and hoping that he will work after I sync all the protection groups.

Both solutions are not elegant but I have no better options at the moment. Please I need some help.

Thanks for your time

Angelo

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 12:11 AM
  • Angelo,

I don't think migrating the data is a good plan for two reasons:

1) The bad disk might drop offline in the middle of migration, and unexpected consquences may occur.
    2) Most likely some of the data that needs to be migrated may actually be on the disk(0) that you removed.

Better plan is to follow http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmstorage/thread/15e80740-0e35-41d4-8194-c7a95d4b7b22

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:51 PM