Public folder calendar - cannot delete one instance of recurring appointment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

This is my environment:

Exchange 2013 SP1 CU12 + Office 2013/2016

We have a public folder of type Calendar. Several people have access to it as a Publishing Author.

We have several recurring appointements in the Calendar that we can't delete.

We are able to delete the whole appointment (all instances) but no way to delete just one instance of that appointment.

When we try to delete one instance the error occurs: "The property does not exist. The field you try to modify is not valid for this type of element.".

We do not use any customized forms or custom add-ins/plugins for Outlook/Exchange.

Permissions are not relevant for this error. Even if I assign user as an Owner of the public folder she still have the same error.

I've seen several people reporing similar problems but they didn't get any resolution that I can apply in my problem.

So what can I do/investigate to resolve this issue?

Any help appreciated :)

Kind regards,

Michal

Thursday, August 31, 2017 7:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is my environment:

Exchange 2013 SP1 CU12 + Office 2013/2016

We have a public folder of type Calendar. Several people have access to it as a Publishing Author.

We have several recurring appointements in the Calendar that we can't delete.

We are able to delete the whole appointment (all instances) but no way to delete just one instance of that appointment.

When we try to delete one instance the error occurs: "The property does not exist. The field you try to modify is not valid for this type of element.".

We do not use any customized forms or custom add-ins/plugins for Outlook/Exchange.

Permissions are not relevant for this error. Even if I assign user as an Owner of the public folder she still have the same error.

I've seen several people reporing similar problems but they didn't get any resolution that I can apply in my problem.

So what can I do/investigate to resolve this issue?

Any help appreciated :)

Kind regards,

Michal

well, the first way to resolve it is to not use PF Calendars. Use a resource mailbox instead - that's what they are intended for. 
    Thursday, August 31, 2017 8:09 PM
  • Hi Michal,

Does the issue happen to all recurring meeting in this Public Calendar when deleting one instance of it?

I suggest we can create a new Public Calendar in Public Folder, create a test recurring meeting and delete one instance to have a try. Verify if this new Public Calendar encounter the same issue.

Additionally, try to create a new recurring meeting in the problematic Public Calendar, delete one instance, check if the issue can be reproduced.

If the issue also happens in new recurring meeting in the Problematic one but no issue in new created Public Calendar, I suspect may be there is an corruption in problematic Public Folder. You can consider to use the new created Public Folder for recurring meeting as a workaround.

Best Regards,

Winnie Liang 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 1, 2017 2:48 AM
  • Hello, Winnie

Thank you for reply.

I created a new public folder calendar, gave myself Owner permissions, mail-enabled the folder and got its email address.

Then I created a recurring appointment and put PF calendar email as one of its recipients. The appointment showed up it the PF calendar.

I couldn't open one occurence of the recurring appointment although I could open all occurencies.

Then I cancelled the appointment (tried both only one occurence and all occurencies) on my own calendar.

First of all, the appointment in PF calendar showed up twice: first is the original appointment, second is the 'Canceled' version of it. Still couldn't open only one occurence of the original appointement. I can open and delete the 'Canceled' version of the appointment.

I can delete all occurencies of recurring appointent marked 'Canceled' at once.

I can't delete one occurence of recurring appointment (that not marked as Canceled although it was canceled!).

I don't know why when I cancel the appointment it becomes doubled in the PF calendar (although it correctly disappears from my calendar and becomes marked as Canceled in other people calendars)?

And I still don't know why I can't even open one occurence in PF calendar. I don't think it's a permission problem, I created the folder and got Owner permission automatically.

Please help me resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Michal

• Edited by Michal St Friday, September 1, 2017 10:40 AM
    Friday, September 1, 2017 10:38 AM
  • Hi Andy,

Thank you for your response.

Of course, your're right about using resource mailbox for this type of functionality.

But I'm still worried about the error I described about deleting recurring appointments. I see no reason why Outlook/Exchange wouldn't allow me to remove just one instance of the recurring appointment. And I don't know whether  it's by design that cancelling such an appointment makes a copy of that appoinment in PF Calendar stating that it's cancelled (in my opinion this creates mess). I'm asking myself (and you Community :) ) if it is a proper behavior and for what purpose Microsoft designed it this way. What business process could this functionality support in an organization? (assuming that Microsoft designed it for some purpose :) )

Kind regards,

Michal

Monday, September 4, 2017 11:39 AM
  • Hi Andy,

Thank you for your response.

Of course, your're right about using resource mailbox for this type of functionality.

But I'm still worried about the error I described about deleting recurring appointments. I see no reason why Outlook/Exchange wouldn't allow me to remove just one instance of the recurring appointment. And I don't know whether  it's by design that cancelling such an appointment makes a copy of that appoinment in PF Calendar stating that it's cancelled (in my opinion this creates mess). I'm asking myself (and you Community :) ) if it is a proper behavior and for what purpose Microsoft designed it this way. What business process could this functionality support in an organization? (assuming that Microsoft designed it for some purpose :) )

Kind regards,

Michal

Well, the PF architecture is so old, I doubt even they remember why things work they way they do! 
    Monday, September 4, 2017 2:24 PM