Exchange 2016: Where are message delivery report logs stored? RRS feed

• Question

• I am having an issue where message delivery reports are not being retained for 14 days as outlined in:  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj150554(v=exchg.160).aspx

I am finding if i run a Get-MessageTrackingReport cmdlet 7 days after a message was sent i'll get a response:

Delivery report information for this message is no longer available.

FailureCategory=Cmdlet-TrackingExceptionNoResultsDueToLogsExpired

Where are these logs stored?

Message tracking logs are retained for 30 days, i see 30 days worth of logs in the message tracking logs folder location as shown via the get-transportservice cmdlet. 

All i can think of is perhaps these logs are being purged as a part of disk cleanup routines. 

Thank You.

• Edited by MikeN401 Tuesday, May 2, 2017 8:41 PM
    Tuesday, May 2, 2017 8:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

Based on my knowledge, the delivery report just a message tracking tool in the EAC, it still uses message tracking logs to track message.

In your issue, I recommend you use "Get-MessageTrackingLog" command to check if gets this message.

If still cannot get this message, this might be a corrupt tracking logs issue, try to change the message tracking logs path and monitor if the same issue occurs again:

Set-TransportService -Identity MailboxServerName -MessageTrackinglogPath "New Path"

Hope it helps,

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Niko.Cheng Wednesday, May 10, 2017 9:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by MikeN401 Thursday, May 25, 2017 3:50 PM
    Wednesday, May 3, 2017 10:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

Based on my knowledge, the delivery report just a message tracking tool in the EAC, it still uses message tracking logs to track message.

In your issue, I recommend you use "Get-MessageTrackingLog" command to check if gets this message.

If still cannot get this message, this might be a corrupt tracking logs issue, try to change the message tracking logs path and monitor if the same issue occurs again:

Set-TransportService -Identity MailboxServerName -MessageTrackinglogPath "New Path"

Hope it helps,

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Niko.Cheng Wednesday, May 10, 2017 9:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by MikeN401 Thursday, May 25, 2017 3:50 PM
    Wednesday, May 3, 2017 10:19 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance. If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thanks for your understanding,

Regards,

Niko Cheng

Thursday, May 25, 2017 10:02 AM
  • Hi Niko,

This was resolved by moving the logs to a new path.

I also adjusted the maximum folder size to be unlimited.

Another anomaly was that the folder was storing more data than the Maximum Folder Size value was set to which may have been a contributing factor.

Thanks,

Mike

Thursday, May 25, 2017 3:50 PM