none
Task Dependencies within Project Online Verison RRS feed

• Question

• How to create task dependencies (links) within project online version such as Start-to-start (SS) or Finish-to-finish (FF) or Start-to-finish (SF)?! Is this feature is supported or only limited to Project Pro version?
    Tuesday, January 5, 2016 6:16 AM

Answers

• Hi Ziad,

I just tested it and it worked, here is how I did. You can definitely add the predecessor column in PWA and edit it with any type of relationshhip.

• Go to "server settings", "manage views"
    • Select the "task detail" view under the "project" section
    • Add the predecessor column from the available fields to the displayed fields
    • Validate and go to the project center to open a project schedule
    • Select the task detail view in the schedule PDP in edition mode
    • Click in the predecessor column on a given task and enter for example 3SS to set a start to start relationaship with the task ID 3
    • Save, publish and it should work, as per my screenshots below.

Please tell me if it is aligned with your concern.

Below a screenshot of the predecessor field added to the view:

And another screenshot of a SS relationship in PWA:

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 8:50 AM
  • To confirm, Guillaume is correct (although on his fourth bullet point it should read Project Centre).   I have customers that do this all the time, but you need to learn to dependency names (FS, SS, SF, FF), and of course, you can also add in Lead and Lag times, eg 2FS+3d, 2SS +5d, 2SF -5d etc.  In addition you could also add in the successor column as well as the predecessor column.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 9:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can definitely edit the task dependency type in PWA (web application of Project Online). For example, choose a view with the predecessor column and enter the predecessor with SS or SF or FF. By default, if the dependency is FS (the default type), just the predecessor ID will be shown.

See below a comparison between the Project Pro and PWA scheduling engine.

http://msprojectnow.com/blog/editing-project-schedules-in-project-web-app-vs-project-professional

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 8:15 AM
  • Thanks Guillaume,

The Predecessor Column view is only available on Project Pro version.  In PWA you can only link tasks with FS relationship.  No way around I could find to do other tasks dependencies relationships.

I even when through with Microsoft Technical Team on life session, to check if there is away to do so in PWA. Unfortunately, they concluded that this feature is limited on PWA and only available on Pro version.

Regards,

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 8:21 AM
  • Hi Ziad,

I just tested it and it worked, here is how I did. You can definitely add the predecessor column in PWA and edit it with any type of relationshhip.

• Go to "server settings", "manage views"
    • Select the "task detail" view under the "project" section
    • Add the predecessor column from the available fields to the displayed fields
    • Validate and go to the project center to open a project schedule
    • Select the task detail view in the schedule PDP in edition mode
    • Click in the predecessor column on a given task and enter for example 3SS to set a start to start relationaship with the task ID 3
    • Save, publish and it should work, as per my screenshots below.

Please tell me if it is aligned with your concern.

Below a screenshot of the predecessor field added to the view:

And another screenshot of a SS relationship in PWA:

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 8:50 AM
  • To confirm, Guillaume is correct (although on his fourth bullet point it should read Project Centre).   I have customers that do this all the time, but you need to learn to dependency names (FS, SS, SF, FF), and of course, you can also add in Lead and Lag times, eg 2FS+3d, 2SS +5d, 2SF -5d etc.  In addition you could also add in the successor column as well as the predecessor column.

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 9:52 AM
  • and, strangely, if you leave stray spaces in the text as Ben has done "eg 2FS+3d, 2SS +5d, 2SF -5d" it still works.
    Wednesday, January 6, 2016 11:32 AM
  • Of course ;)

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 12:13 PM
  • I have not seen a way to add Successor column

Geof Narlee

• Edited by narlee Friday, September 23, 2016 8:28 PM
    Friday, September 23, 2016 8:28 PM
  • Hi Narlee,

Looks like I was wrong, there is no successors column available in PWA.  Not sure why that it is...

Friday, September 23, 2016 9:30 PM