Target audience for individual user RRS feed

• Question

• MOSS 2007

Hello,
    I have created a custom list. I have added thousand items for my customer.
    Each item has different target audience.
    As target audience don't work for individual user, I have to create thousands of groups.
    Creating thousands of groups, doesn't look good aproach.
    Is there any best approach available for this situation?
    Thanks,
    Ganesh

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, March 3, 2011 7:50 PM Say MOSS 2007 in text not title. Default here
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 7:24 PM

Answers

• Hello Ganesh,

If I understood your question right,  a user will be seeing only his items(Kind of view items created by me). But in your case all items are created by single user.

To achieve this there are two ways.

1) Go to Manage Permissions of each item and add the particular user for that item.(which will be tedious)

2) Another option is create a column(Say Audience ) of People & Group type in your list . While adding each item, for this column, add the name of user to whom the item is intended for. Now create a view with filter Audience = [Me]

Now this view will show only the items intended for logged in user.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Chanakya
    • Marked as answer by Ganesh Shelar Friday, March 11, 2011 6:14 PM
    Friday, March 4, 2011 5:13 AM

All replies

• You actually could target an audience to individual users using the property of First Name and Last name or the login name but the limit of audiences is 200 so that wouldn't work. I would upgrade to 2010 and use individual permissions for items.
    hope that helps,
    SharePointNinja

Thursday, March 3, 2011 11:16 PM
  • Hello Ganesh,

If I understood your question right,  a user will be seeing only his items(Kind of view items created by me). But in your case all items are created by single user.

To achieve this there are two ways.

1) Go to Manage Permissions of each item and add the particular user for that item.(which will be tedious)

2) Another option is create a column(Say Audience ) of People & Group type in your list . While adding each item, for this column, add the name of user to whom the item is intended for. Now create a view with filter Audience = [Me]

Now this view will show only the items intended for logged in user.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Chanakya
    • Marked as answer by Ganesh Shelar Friday, March 11, 2011 6:14 PM
    Friday, March 4, 2011 5:13 AM
  • SharePointNinja & Chanakya,

Thanks for reply.

SharePointNinja,

Can you please give one example to assign individual user as target audience?

I am not able to select my username as target audience though I have full permissions for site.

Following forum also says that you cannot assign individual user as target audience.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepointecm/thread/80112bfd-af18-4308-b8ee-47f2f9568e6d

I want to assign maximum 10 users as Target audience per item.

Chanakya,

First option is really a tedious job for 1000 items.

Second option will not work because user can create then own view & they can remove filter condition Audience = [Me]

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, March 4, 2011 3:54 PM Do Not ask SP 2010 questions in pre-2010 forums. That line removed.
    Friday, March 4, 2011 3:44 PM
  • Hi Ganesh,

Is it a requirement that user can create a view??

Else you can remove that option either by removing the permission or by removing the view selection drop down from the web part.

Thanks,
    Chanakya
    Monday, March 7, 2011 4:32 AM
  • Hi Chanakya,

Thanks for your help.

Friday, March 11, 2011 6:14 PM