Force User Logoff RRS feed

• Question

• What is the best way to force user logoff at the end of a business day. Users refuse or forget to logoff which does not allow for success file backups and system updates.   It would be great to have a way to save files that are left open (if they were already saved) but I know that is probably wishful thinking.  Thanks.

Windows 10 Enterprise clients, Windows 2016 DCs, Group Policies, no SCCM. Domain environment

• Edited by Eillirand Wednesday, December 28, 2016 2:02 PM
    Wednesday, December 28, 2016 2:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• 1. configure logon hours

2. "Set action to take when logon hours expire" under "User configuration / Policies / Administrative Templates / Windows components / Windows Logon options"

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 2:14 PM
  • Thanks. Does this prevent the user from logging in remotely via VPN (LDAP authentication)?

I assume it would, however, setting the time to something like 3AM to 4AM, should still be safe. Unlikely the user will need to VPN at that time slot.

• Edited by Eillirand Wednesday, December 28, 2016 2:25 PM
    Wednesday, December 28, 2016 2:22 PM
  • Any process that accesses AD will be effected.
    Wednesday, December 28, 2016 2:30 PM
  • Hi Eillirand,

In addition, we could enable "Network security: Force logoff when logon hours expire" which located in: Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\Network security. please refer to the link below about how to force logoff all users in the Domain to get more information.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/a43f9e46-7861-464e-b5f7-197feeec81d3/how-to-force-logoff-all-users-in-the-domain?forum=winserverDS

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Eillirand Friday, December 30, 2016 2:18 PM
    Thursday, December 29, 2016 5:25 AM
  • Thanks. I am going to use this method as it seems to be working in my test environment. This will also set it where we do not set logon hours that could create future issues for traveling users.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2010/08/24/forcing-afterhours-user-logoffs/

Friday, December 30, 2016 2:18 PM