Looking for best practice for a server in a small school RRS feed

• Question

• I'm about to start setting up a server for a small school (Windows Server 2016 Std). In the interests of providing access to students who are interested in the Linux world (and my own desire to tinker), I'll provide Debian in a VM. My question is: is it preferable to install hyper-v on the "bare metal", then Windows Server as one VM, and Debian as another VM, or install Windows Server first, then the hyper-v role, and Debian as a VM under hyper-v under Windows server, i.e.

Hardware |

---Hyper-v |

VM------Windows server

VM------Debian

OR

Hardware |

---Windows Server with hyper-v |

VM------Debian

The Windows server will be doing all the administrative work - AD with 3 OUs, file+print, backups, WSUS, deployment, etc. The Debian machine will serve as a playground, but it might just become a production environment if one or more students decide to make a school intranet, or similar. Thanks

Bernie Dwyer Clarity Computing Services

Tuesday, October 9, 2018 8:02 AM

All replies

• How about using Azure for this? https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/free/students/

For Hyper-V the VM will provide enough isolation between guest and host, but some might not put test VMs on an infrastructure server.

Anyhow if this is for learning purposes then it should be fine to not nest Hyper-V instances.

Monday, October 15, 2018 5:57 AM
  • Thanks - our internet is not what you would call reliable. I checked out some Azure options when I was putting together the proposal for the school, but given the intermittent nature of the service around here, I think we'll stick with local for now. We're supposed to be getting the NBN Real Soon Now (www.nbnco.com.au), so maybe I'll see how well it performs for 6 or 12 months, then suggest a migration to Azure-based services. Thanks for your advice.

Bernie Dwyer Clarity Computing Services

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 8:33 AM