Vista 64 Ultimate, Running extremely slow on older Athlon 64 4000+ RRS feed

• Question

• For test purposes, I downloaded Vista ultimate 64 to try out as a first OS on a new hard drive on my older Athlon XP 64 4000+ system with 3gb of memory.  The system has Windows XP Professional on it's original hard drive.  The motherboard is an Asus A8N-SLI Premium.  Video card is a FoxConn 8600GTS 256mb.  The drive is Maxtor ~200gb SATA.

Installation took about 3.5 hours including about 75 minutes to format the drive via the Vista CD command prompt.

After first boot, many devices had drivers installed automatically.  This was great.  I went searching for the Foxconn drivers and almost immediately, IE7 crashed.  It looked for a solution and restarted itself.  I continued searching, again, it crashed.

I restarted the machine, IE7 continued to crash.  But with enough copy/paste of URLs to get a browser window open long enough, I updated the FoxConn, ACPI, and Sound drivers.

The machine is extremely slow right now.  Only one CPU shows in Device Manager, which matches the XP installation as it was a 32 bit OS.  However, this is a 64 bit OS, so I would expect to see two.  "One Graph per CPU" is checked in Task manager as well.  System properties show the full 2.4ghz rating of the processor.

Does anyone have any suggestion on which driver(s) need to be updated?

I also installed Chrome in hopes it would be less prone to crashing.  However, it gives an "Aw, Snap" message which signifies it can't find the network.  I tried ot update the rest of the motherboard drivers but all were said to be more up to date than the ones from Asus.  I still have 3 "Unknown Device" and one Unknown Raid controller.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can provide.
    -Jeff
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 1:47 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your update.

Regarding the issue that the Athlon XP 64 4000+ just shows as one CPU in Device Manager, it is recommended that you contact AMD for detail information and technical support since they are familiar with their products.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

I know that the Internet Explorer still crashes. At this time, please try the following to narrow down the issue:

1.    Reset Internet Explorer settings:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

After this, please check if the issue reoccurs.

2.    Boot the system to “Safe Mode with networking” and see if the Internet Explorer will work properly.

If the Internet Explorer works in Safe Mode, please run Process Explorer and collect some information for our further research:

1.    Download the Process Explorer

Process Explorer

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

2.    After downloading, extract “ProcessExplorer.zip” to the Desktop and run “procexp.exe”.

3.    Click View and select “Show Lower Pane”.

4.    Click View and click “Lower Pane View - DLLs”.

5.    Navigate to “iexplore.exe” and highlight it.

6.    Click “File – Save AS” to save the process data of Internet Explorer on your desktop as a TXT file.

7.    Please post contents of the TXT file to this thread.

Thanks for your efforts.

Nicholas Li - MSFT

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:14 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your post.

Firstly, may I know the following:

1.    Did both the Internet Explorer 7 32bit version and 64bit version fail to work?

2.    Is your CPU dual-core or multi-thread?

As for this process freeze issue, we generally need to analyze the performance monitor logs and memory dump files to locate the root cause. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum because of the nature of forum support. I'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Having said that, I'd still like to provide the following analysis and basic troubleshooting steps to see if we can eliminate this problem:

1.    Scan your system to make sure that the system is virus free. Temporarily disable your anti-virus software to see if this problem is gone.

2.    Please perform a Clean Boot to check the issue.

Clean boot

=================

1)     Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2)   Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3)   Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

NOTE: we can go back to normal boot by running msconfig again and checking on Normal Startup in the General tab.

In the Clean Boot Environment, the third party services and applications are disabled, please check if the issue reoccurs at this time.

If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

3.    If the process is a service, you can use these steps to find out what applications are using most of the CPU: Open Task Manager, click on the Processes tab, look for the process that is using the CPU and note its PID (Process ID). Note that you may need to go to the View/Select Columns menu and make sure that PID (Process Identifier) is checked.

Once you have the PID run the following from a command prompt:

tasklist /svc

This should give you the application associated with the PID you identified in the previous step.

4.    At this time, please also try the following drivers:

A8N-SLI Premium

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=A8N-SLI%20Premium

FoxConn 8600GTS 256

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/support/downloads.aspx?ProductModel=8600GTS-256&TypeID=en-us0000016

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

You can also contact the manufacture for new drivers.

However, if the issue still persists, please contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for further troubleshooting. I hope the problem will be resolved soon. Thanks!

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, April 10, 2009 10:54 AM
  • Thank you for your response and advice.  The processor is dual core.  If I boot to the original hard drive, which has Windows XP Professional x32, I see both cores (each as a single processor in the device manager).

The IE issue presents itself with both x64 and x32 versions.  The links to the drivers are appreciated and were the same ones I started with prior to my original posting.

I have no virus, nor virus scanners, on this machine as it is a fresh format/installation.  I'm betting you'll say I could have a virus from my network, but all PCs and Laptops on my network are protected with the latest virus scanning definitions which makes me fairly confident that the machine is clean.

I searched the internet and found some RAID drivers at the following location for my motherboard.  They loaded successfully... http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/action/r/http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/Si3114_RAID5_x64_15100.zip

When IE crashes, the application event log lists ntdll.dll as being the problem.  An internet search brought back much about this DLL causing people problems.  Unfortunately, they were primarily on well established systems whcih simply one day "went bad".

Though I am a TechNet member, I probably will not end up contacting support further than this message board regarding this issue.  If I cannot figure out this issue in the next few days, I will likely either format again and install XP 64 or try out Windows 7 beta.  As a side note, I do recall trying out XP 64 back around a year ago and it gave strange issues with regards to video playback.  That is why my other hard drive currently has just XP 32 installed at this time.

Thank you in advance for any more assistance you may be able to offer.
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 1:57 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

Regarding the issue that the Athlon XP 64 4000+ just shows as one CPU in Device Manager, it is recommended that you contact AMD for detail information and technical support since they are familiar with their products.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

I know that the Internet Explorer still crashes. At this time, please try the following to narrow down the issue:

1.    Reset Internet Explorer settings:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

After this, please check if the issue reoccurs.

2.    Boot the system to “Safe Mode with networking” and see if the Internet Explorer will work properly.

If the Internet Explorer works in Safe Mode, please run Process Explorer and collect some information for our further research:

1.    Download the Process Explorer

Process Explorer

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

2.    After downloading, extract “ProcessExplorer.zip” to the Desktop and run “procexp.exe”.

3.    Click View and select “Show Lower Pane”.

4.    Click View and click “Lower Pane View - DLLs”.

5.    Navigate to “iexplore.exe” and highlight it.

6.    Click “File – Save AS” to save the process data of Internet Explorer on your desktop as a TXT file.

7.    Please post contents of the TXT file to this thread.

Thanks for your efforts.

Nicholas Li - MSFT

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:14 AM