SBS 2011 to 2012 R2 Migration RRS feed

• Question

• We currently have an SBS 2011 server running our domain, the services it runs are:

Active Directory

Certificate Authority

DHCP

DNS

File Server

RADIUS

WSUS

It was also running Exchange until a couple of weeks ago when I migrated off to Office 365.  For now I have disabled all of the Exchange services, but I won't want anything to do with Exchange migrated to the new server.

I wish to decommission SBS as soon as possible (due to company growth, it's no longer suitable) and in order to do this, I am preparing a 2012 R2 server to replace it.  The plan is to build the new 2012 R2 server, add it to the domain, promote it, migrate the above services to it, demote SBS and remove it from the domain.  I have found a technet guide (http://blogs.technet.com/b/infratalks/archive/2012/09/07/transition-from-small-business-server-to-standard-windows-server.aspx) but it doesn't specify SBS 2011 or 2012 R2 so I'm a bit concerned about doing this right, with minimal downtime or issues for users.

I would like to know if there's any caveats I need to be aware of when planning this, and also what I need to do to make sure that nothing from Exchange is migrated over?

Thank you.

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 4:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

I think you could use the technet guide to do the migration,

http://jbcomp.com/transition-from-small-business-server-to-standard-windows-server-2012-r2/

You could run Windows Server Solutions Best Practice Analyzer 1.0 on SBS 2011,

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15556

Please ensure that we take a complete backup along with System State Backup of the Small Business Server.

Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by Vivian_Wang Friday, December 26, 2014 5:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian_Wang Wednesday, December 31, 2014 7:18 AM
    Wednesday, December 24, 2014 7:24 AM
  • Hello,

Last week, I made a complete migration from sbs 2011 to Server 2012 and Exchange 2013 on premise.(I had previously simulated it in virtual environment, and had to do it 4 or 5 times, after having experimented various issues, most about certificates and Exchange 2013).

Everything was in french versions. I will not describe here the Exchange migration to 2013, since you've done it in office 365.

Today sbs 2011 is decomissionned and shut down. 100 users, nearly not impacted.

You'll first have to turn around sbs gpos :

gpo for redirected folders : change the path to a new share on a new server. wait for update or gpupdate / force on stations, then re-log all users and verify redirected folders have moved. (very long file names can be an obstacle for some users - then reduce file/path name and re-log) - and be patient

gpo for wsus : I desactivated every gpo about wsus, and will build a new wsus server later, with the good gpo.

gpo "windows sbs CSE policy" desactivated

gpo "SharepointPsconfig Notification Policy " desactivated

shared printers on sbs : on a new server, re-install printers, share them, and install them on the client stations. stop sharing them on sbs.

then build windows server 2012, integrate it to the domain, then dcpromo (see windows 2012 menu) to make it a DC

then transfer all 5 fsmo to new dc (sbs 2011 can begin to dislike it, and in a few days it will periodically restart automatically, it's normal). http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255690/fr

Ensure new DC 2012 has global catalog

on new dc 2012 install dhcp (stop it on sbs2011) and manually configure it like sbs's, then install dns (copied from AD)

on new dc 2012, give fixed ip adress, and itself as dns server

in dhcp don't forget to replace old sbs ip by new DC2012 ip for dns.

in dns, you will have to delete all entries about sbs2011 (companyweb, autodiscover, "remote.domain..."etc...)

on sbs 2011, uninstall exchange (db must be empty), uninstall "AD Certificate services role", then dcpromo to decomission it, then make it exit the domain and shut down.

you can then upgrade the domain level functionnality to 2012.

Be careful, the next new user you will create, you won't be assisted by any wizard. Look at old users membership (for example for redirected folders) and UO, it will help you.

This took about 5 full days for 100 users (exchange migration took 2 days a week before, redirected folders also changed a week before, and progressively moved as people were logging in, with errors due to too long file names, where I spent most of my time)

Hope my translation is not too bad and it will help.

As we say in french "Bon courage !"

JDB

P.S. : my next project is to make a migration from sbs 2011 to office 365. Could you give me a feedback of you experience ?

J.D. Blanquet

• Proposed as answer by Vivian_Wang Wednesday, December 31, 2014 7:18 AM
    Saturday, December 27, 2014 11:04 AM
  • Hi,

Any update about the issue?

Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, December 29, 2014 5:55 AM
  • Hello,

Last week, I made a complete migration from sbs 2011 to Server 2012 and Exchange 2013 on premise.(I had previously simulated it in virtual environment, and had to do it 4 or 5 times, after having experimented various issues, most about certificates and Exchange 2013).

Everything was in french versions. I will not describe here the Exchange migration to 2013, since you've done it in office 365.

Today sbs 2011 is decomissionned and shut down. 100 users, nearly not impacted.

You'll first have to turn around sbs gpos :

gpo for redirected folders : change the path to a new share on a new server. wait for update or gpupdate / force on stations, then re-log all users and verify redirected folders have moved. (very long file names can be an obstacle for some users - then reduce file/path name and re-log) - and be patient

gpo for wsus : I desactivated every gpo about wsus, and will build a new wsus server later, with the good gpo.

gpo "windows sbs CSE policy" desactivated

gpo "SharepointPsconfig Notification Policy " desactivated

shared printers on sbs : on a new server, re-install printers, share them, and install them on the client stations. stop sharing them on sbs.

then build windows server 2012, integrate it to the domain, then dcpromo (see windows 2012 menu) to make it a DC

then transfer all 5 fsmo to new dc (sbs 2011 can begin to dislike it, and in a few days it will periodically restart automatically, it's normal). http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255690/fr

Ensure new DC 2012 has global catalog

on new dc 2012 install dhcp (stop it on sbs2011) and manually configure it like sbs's, then install dns (copied from AD)

on new dc 2012, give fixed ip adress, and itself as dns server

in dhcp don't forget to replace old sbs ip by new DC2012 ip for dns.

in dns, you will have to delete all entries about sbs2011 (companyweb, autodiscover, "remote.domain..."etc...)

on sbs 2011, uninstall exchange (db must be empty), uninstall "AD Certificate services role", then dcpromo to decomission it, then make it exit the domain and shut down.

you can then upgrade the domain level functionnality to 2012.

Be careful, the next new user you will create, you won't be assisted by any wizard. Look at old users membership (for example for redirected folders) and UO, it will help you.

This took about 5 full days for 100 users (exchange migration took 2 days a week before, redirected folders also changed a week before, and progressively moved as people were logging in, with errors due to too long file names, where I spent most of my time)

Hope my translation is not too bad and it will help.

As we say in french "Bon courage !"

JDB

P.S. : my next project is to make a migration from sbs 2011 to office 365. Could you give me a feedback of you experience ?

J.D. Blanquet

Hi, did you complete your sbs 2011 to office 365 project?  I'm currently reviewing this as well and since sbs 2011 isn't an officially supported platform to migrate, documentation is lacking.  Would appreciate any tips/info
    Monday, March 9, 2015 4:20 AM
  • Hello,

the project is still ongoing, but nearly finished.

the main problem encountered was about certificates to be recognized from office 365.

we need to buy a certificate that can manage 2 domain names (one for the dns name, and the other one for autodiscover - done with Gandi) or it won't work.

the only migration method we could make work was "remote hybrid migration" from exchange 2010 (not one of the 4 methods proposed by the office 365 console).

I'll send more détails later, when all will be finished.

J.D. Blanquet

J.D. Blanquet

Monday, March 9, 2015 9:41 AM