Windows Vista SATA drive offline RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've recently installed Vista for the second time and am having the same trouble with my second hard drive that I had the last time I installed Vista, but this time I can't seem to fix it.  Basically, I had XP installed with 2 SATA hard drives, I upgraded to Vista but was having so much trouble with it that I reverted back to XP.  After the first install, my second hard drive listed as an offline dynamic drive, but somehow I was able to fix it without formatting or losing data, I remember disconnecting the drive had something to do with it working again.  Anywho, I've upgraded my pc and now have 4gb of ram so I decided to give Vista a try again, but my second SATA hard drive is listing as an offline dynamic drive once more.  I've combed all manner of forums that claim the only solution is to backup your data and reformat, but I have fixed this once before without having to do so.  I appreciate any help!

Monday, April 7, 2008 7:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I am not sure what you did to convert dynamic disk to basic without format. Here is the KB article about how to convert dynamic disk to basic, which need to delete volume and fomat. It is also applicable to Windows Vista.

309044 How To Convert to Basic and Dynamic Disks in Windows XP Professional
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;309044

Additionally, since it is not any side effect for you, I think you do not need to convert it..

Hope this helps.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 7:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my known, it cannot convert dynamic disk to basic directly, which need to format complete disk. It is by-design. Thus, we recommend back up all data and then format it as a work around.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 7:49 AM
  • Thanks for the response Jie-Feng.  I can guarantee though that I had gotten the drive working without formatting when I installed Vista the first time.  The drive is unaltered and has data on it dating back 3+ years, and I was able to use it with Vista after it was listed as an offline dynamic drive.  I wish I remembered what I did, I know after about a week of troubleshooting, I disconnected the drive, and when I reconnected it a few days later, for whatever reason, it was working.  I hadn't formatted it, or made any other modifications to it. 

Thanks

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 2:08 PM
  • Hi,

I am not sure what you did to convert dynamic disk to basic without format. Here is the KB article about how to convert dynamic disk to basic, which need to delete volume and fomat. It is also applicable to Windows Vista.

309044 How To Convert to Basic and Dynamic Disks in Windows XP Professional
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;309044

Additionally, since it is not any side effect for you, I think you do not need to convert it..

Hope this helps.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 7:20 AM