MDT 2012 USMT 3.01 XP to XP Replace RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings.

I deployed the MDT 2012 Update1 with Database, but without SCCM.  

and I'm trying to do a user capture and restore with an XP to XP OS replace.

the followings are the steps I tested:

1. I have installed USMT 3.01 on a WinXP computer, copy the installed files in C:\Program Files\USMT301 to the MDT server's DeployShare\Tools\x86\USMT3.

2. I set the Rule settings as following:

[Default]
        USMT3=YES
        ScanStateArgs=/v:5 /o /c
        LoadStateArgs=/v:5 /c /lac
        USMTOfflineMigration=False
        UserDataLocation=Network
        UDShare=\\MDTServer\MigDataShare
        UDDir=%ComputerName%

3. I created 2 task sequences, the 1st is "Standard Client Replace Task Sequence" to capture the state of a demo computer. the 2nd is "Standard Client Task Sequence" to deploy new computer and restore the captured state.

4. I start WinPE and use the 1st task sequence to capture the state of a demo computer. it's success. and it create the  folders as following:

- MigDataShare
           +--DemoComputerName
             +--USMT
                +-- USMT.MIG

the USMT.MIG is the file of the captured state.

5. I start a new VM with WinPE and use the 2nd task sequence. and specify the restore location to \\MDTServer\MigDataShare\DemoComputerName.
      every steps are running well until it restore the user state.  and finally,  it return the following warning:

" No user state folder (USMT3) found at \\MDTServer\MigDataShare\DemoComputerName, unable to restore user state. "       

I think it's something wrong on set the MDT 2012 to use USMT3.01. maybe the captured state should in USMT3 folder or the file should be name as USMT3.mig.

but I don't know how to resolve it. hope you help.

Thank you!

Frank@Hiweb 冯立超@瀚博资讯

Monday, December 9, 2013 5:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Frank.

In that case, it's looking under \ \mdtscct\migdata$\minint-00ocgo for a migration store. There should be a sub folder called USMT3 under there.

What's in the loadstate log ?

Blog: http://scriptimus.wordpress.com

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 11:39 AM
  • Thank you Andrew,

there is no USMT3 folder or file under it, but a USMT folder under it, and a USMT.MIG file in it.

so, I think maybe the capture user state step used USMT5 but not USMT3 to get the user state,

it means maybe the error is because the capture process but not the restore process I think

but Idon't know why.

thanks

Frank@Hiweb 冯立超@瀚博资讯

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 12:05 PM
  • Hi Andrew, 

I have another question about MDT, would you please send me you email address to FrankFeng@Hiweb.cn to discuss it .

thank you 

Frank@Hiweb 冯立超@瀚博资讯

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 12:09 PM
  • Thank you Andrew,

there is no USMT3 folder or file under it, but a USMT folder under it, and a USMT.MIG file in it.

so, I think maybe the capture user state step used USMT5 but not USMT3 to get the user state,

it means maybe the error is because the capture process but not the restore process I think

but Idon't know why.

thanks

Frank@Hiweb 冯立超@瀚博资讯

You've got it right there. It's not captured a USMT 3 migration store.

As indicated above, they can be identified by the subfolder USMT3 under the migration store.

Try removing the line USMTOfflineMigration=False ; the default is false and this is not a USMT 3 setting.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:48 PM
  • Hi Andrew, 

I have another question about MDT, would you please send me you email address to FrankFeng@Hiweb.cn to discuss it .

thank you 

Frank@Hiweb 冯立超@瀚博资讯

Hi Frank,

My emails on the contacts page of my blog. PM me by all means but for MDT, I usually respond better here. People usually post a new topic and send me the the link.

/Andrew

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 2:02 PM
  • thank you andrew

I really have  the line USMTOfflineMigration=False

I will remove it and test now,

report you soon

regards

Frank@Hiweb 冯立超@瀚博资讯

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 2:18 PM
  • sorry, not resolved  :(

Frank@Hiweb 冯立超@瀚博资讯

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 3:33 PM
  • I can't help with that other issue, sorry. I think you should make some architectural changes to handle new builds in that scenario.

As for this issue, can you post your customsettings.ini so I can see what;s happening.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:05 PM
  • Thank you

I will test it.

Frank@Hiweb 冯立超@瀚博资讯

Thursday, December 19, 2013 1:28 PM