Skype for Business not accessing microphone on MacbookPro with OS Catalina RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to use Skype for Business on a MacBook Pro with OS Catalina. The video works fine, but SfB is not requesting to use the microphone: if I go to System Preferences - Security & Privacy - Microphone, SfB does not appear in the drop down list to tick.

I have also tried a community workaround for Mojave but I can't get the commands accepted by Terminal.

Any ideas anybody, please??

Saturday, April 18, 2020 1:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Starlightminor!

Does this issue persist all the time?

Can the built-in microphone in Mac work properly in Skype for Business?

Do other applications have the same issue?

If this issue persists on connected external microphone, we recommend you try to change another microphone device to see if it works.

Also please try to check Audio Device settings to see if the device can be recognized in your Skype for Business client. Like the following pictures shows below:

Besides, it recommends you try to update your Skype for Business client to the newest version to see if this issue still occurred in your PC.

The following link shows some ways to fix microphone stopped working in Mac for your reference:

https://appletoolbox.com/macbook-microphone-stopped-working-how-to-fix/

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com
    Monday, April 20, 2020 6:09 AM
  • I have the same issue.

SfB for Mac didn't request the microphone access to the system. (in contrast, Skype for Mac requested the access.)

Jimmyy_Yang's reply can be one of solutions for Windows OS, not Mac OSX.

Please check the question again.

• Edited by Entzlope Wednesday, April 22, 2020 7:36 AM
    Wednesday, April 22, 2020 7:35 AM
  • I have the same issue (and several colleagues). Plz help. Thanks in advance.
    Wednesday, April 22, 2020 8:10 AM
  • Hi Jimmy, built in mic works fine with other apps. Have reinstalled Skype for Business, and latest version of MacOS. Normal Skype works fine but Skype for Business doesn't. Any other solutions? 

Wednesday, April 22, 2020 8:14 AM
  • I'm facing the same problem. Are there any updates?

Wednesday, April 22, 2020 4:00 PM
  • Hi!

It seems this issue is not happened only on one person.

I will make a discussion with my colleague. If there is any new information, we will update it in time.

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com

Sunday, April 26, 2020 10:37 AM
  • Hello.

First of all, disable SIP protection in your Mac.

==========================================================================

How to turn off System Integrity Protection in macOS

Click the Apple symbol in the Menu bar.

Click Restart…

Hold down Command-R to reboot into Recovery Mode.

Click Utilities.

Select Terminal.

Type csrutil disable.

Press Return or Enter on your keyboard.

Click the Apple symbol in the Menu bar.

Click Restart…

If you later want to start using SIP once again (and you really should), then follow these steps again, except this time you'll enter csrutil enable in the Terminal instead.

To check if it is disabled, execute the command csrutil status

and confirm the message: System Integrity Protection status: disabled.

After that,

Manually manipulate the security database TCC.db.

. Open Terminal

. Make a backup copy of the ~/Library/Application\ Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db file
    . Open the database by giving command:
    sudo sqlite3 ~/Library/Application\ Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db
    . Provide your password when requested Within sqlite3, For Skype for Business audio fix type in command:

INSERT INTO access VALUES('kTCCServiceMicrophone','com.microsoft.SkypeForBusiness',0,1,1,NULL,NULL,NULL,'UNUSED',NULL,0,1541440109);

. If you receive some error on INSERT, try REPLACE sql command below:
    REPLACE INTO access VALUES('kTCCServiceMicrophone','com.microsoft.SkypeForBusiness',0,1,1,NULL,NULL,NULL,'UNUSED',NULL,0,1541440109);

. Type .exit to exit the sqlite3

Skype for Business should be visible in the Security & Privacy preferences Privacy-Microphone view
    This is not something the user should be required to do, but until the application is fixed, this might be the only way.

Thank you.

Regards

Santosh Patkar

Santosh Patkar Cloud Consultant

• Proposed as answer by SPPatkar1994 Sunday, April 26, 2020 12:26 PM
    Sunday, April 26, 2020 12:26 PM
  • Santosh,

I saw this on the internet for iOS Mojave, but does it work with Catalina?

Also, for those of us not great with computers, how does one make a back up copy of the TCC file. Could you perhaps provide screenshots of the initial steps:

Open Terminal

. Make a backup copy of the ~/Library/Application\ Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db file
    . Open the database by giving command:
    sudo sqlite3 ~/Library/Application\ Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db
    . Provide your password when requested Within sqlite3, For Skype for Business audio fix type in command:

Monday, April 27, 2020 1:53 PM
  • Hi Starlightminior!

What is your Skype for Business Version?

Does any prior version of Skype for Business work?

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Wednesday, April 29, 2020 9:02 AM
  • Hi Jimmy,

I subscribe to Business Essentials so have the paid for version of Teams, but I use the free download for Mac for Skype for Business: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54108

Wednesday, April 29, 2020 9:52 AM
  • Go to System Preferences. Scroll down to Microphone – There you will see Skype pop up with a check box. Check the box – It will suggest that you re-start Skype and offer to do it for you. Restart Skype – your problem should be solved. If you still have issues with skype you can switch to Microsoft Teams. Microsoft Teams can provide you same features which Skype provides. To know more about Skype for business vs Teams visit o365cloudexperts.com
    Wednesday, April 29, 2020 10:04 AM
  • Thank you for the above two suggestion but unfortunately, they don't work.

For me, Skype for Business does not appear in Security & Privacy under the microphone tab, it only appears under the video tab, despite attempting the two solutions above, reinstalling, etc.

I cannot use Microsoft Teams if I am invited to join conference calls from other companies who are themselves using Skype for Business. The Teams technical support have looked at a way of helping but Microsoft have removed the option of ticking SfB in Teams as they try to force everyone to move over to teams.

The issue remains that Skype for Business when used on Macbook with Catalina will not request access to the microphone.

Wednesday, April 29, 2020 1:47 PM
  • Hi Starlightminor!

You could try to remove the current version of client and rolled it back to .142 to replace it and test with until such time another build is released.

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Friday, May 1, 2020 9:37 AM
  • Hi Starlightminor!

Some customer reported that they solved this issue after following

https://download.microsoft.com/download/D/0/5/D055DA17-C7B8-4257-89A1-78E7BBE3833F/SkypeForBusinessInstaller-16.28.0.120.pkg

over the existing installation (no need to uninstall).  Once installed start a call and the Microsoft seems to resolve itself.

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Monday, May 4, 2020 2:13 AM
  • Hi,
    Is there any update on this case?
    Please feel free to drop us a note if there is any update.
    Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Sunday, May 10, 2020 2:41 AM