locked
Address books between lync 2010 and SFB server RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have setup a new SFB installation (IM & AV only) and it coexists with Lync 2010. I have not cut over all the users just for testing at the moment which means the lync discovery still points to 2010 box while I test. Not sure if this is related but wanted to check.

    I migrated a test users that was on 2010 to SFB with no issues. I logged in (after manually putting in sfb server) and no issues. This test user just happened to have 2 existing contacts with coworkers, both still on 2010. IM between those two users was flawless.  However I could not connect to any other 2010 user even by typing out the full sip address it shows User does not exist in the lync logs.

    2010 users can connect to this SFB person and once connected if I create a contact with the person everything works including presence . It seems to be a one way only problem.

    Is this because I have not done the cut over with the srv record and lyncdiscoverinternal A record?  All other DNS records have been entered.

    Friday, August 12, 2016 5:18 PM

Answers

  • This doesn't sound like an issue with the DNS records unless you don't have a DNS record for the pool name published.  

    Are there any network or firewalling issues between the servers?  

    If you run get-csmanagementstorereplicationstatus does it show both 2010 and SfB servers and is replication true for all of them?


    Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote" on the left side of the response, and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, SWC, their employees, or other MVPs.

    • Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Monday, August 15, 2016 2:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Craigbon Monday, August 15, 2016 12:21 PM
    Friday, August 12, 2016 6:46 PM
  • I agree with Anthony, looks like a replication status issue with the topology. Try running update-csuserdatabase as well.

    -Don

    • Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Monday, August 15, 2016 2:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Craigbon Monday, August 15, 2016 12:21 PM
    Friday, August 12, 2016 8:30 PM

All replies

  • Hi Craigbon,

    Once the SFB client singed in it must get the address book server settings automatically. 

    If it cannot only fetch the contacts,

    Whether your AddressBookAvailability parameter to WebSearchOnly or download to local machine?

    Did you see the address book service generated an address book DB in file share?


    - Muralidharan. Please mark as answer/useful if my contribution helps you.

    • Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Monday, August 15, 2016 2:54 AM
    Friday, August 12, 2016 5:42 PM
  • This doesn't sound like an issue with the DNS records unless you don't have a DNS record for the pool name published.  

    Are there any network or firewalling issues between the servers?  

    If you run get-csmanagementstorereplicationstatus does it show both 2010 and SfB servers and is replication true for all of them?


    Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote" on the left side of the response, and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, SWC, their employees, or other MVPs.

    • Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Monday, August 15, 2016 2:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Craigbon Monday, August 15, 2016 12:21 PM
    Friday, August 12, 2016 6:46 PM
  • I agree with Anthony, looks like a replication status issue with the topology. Try running update-csuserdatabase as well.

    -Don

    • Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Monday, August 15, 2016 2:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Craigbon Monday, August 15, 2016 12:21 PM
    Friday, August 12, 2016 8:30 PM
  • Hi  Craigbon,

    Agree with others.

    Did you resolved the issue by modifing the Lync client policy AddressBookAvailability parameter to WebSearchOnly ?

    It may be your address book out of sync, so you could also try to add the registry HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Lync\v GalDownloadInitialDelay /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f to force the address book download.

    After adding these keys you must exit and re-enter the Lync client.

    Best regards,

    Alice Wang


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Alice Wang
    TechNet Community Support

    Monday, August 15, 2016 5:35 AM
  • I will try this morning and update
    Monday, August 15, 2016 12:03 PM
  • Yes it is working now maybe as the first replication it just took a very long time as I waited hours on Friday. This morning I only ran the get-csmanagementstorereplicationstatus command which all showed up to date as True and it was working already.

    Thank you I will mark this as answered

    Monday, August 15, 2016 12:21 PM