Get 'Invalid (Network) Drive' messages on software installation. RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am regularly getting "H:\ Invalid Drive" messages when installing software, whereas my H:\ is a mapped network drive.

It doesn't happen with all software, only some.

First notice it when trying to install Nero 7 - I have logged a support call with them. However I'm trying to install the MiniPort driver for my network card and now it's doing the same thing.

While trying to resolve the issue for Nero 7, I have removed my drive mapping script on login and restarted my PC. However Nero 7 still seems to detect that there WAS an H:\ somewhere... I assume out of registry!?

Any ideas?

Friday, June 22, 2007 9:35 PM

All replies

•  

!! SORRY !!

Just realised that this post should be in a different location, however I did solve this issue... by ensuring that my "shell folders" were free of mapped network drives. Apparently InstallShield and some other "installation syatems" choke on VISTA if "My Documents," "My Music" or any other standard user folder points to a network location.

Setting all such locations back to defaults, in the following registry keys and ensuring that ALL registry entries are free of mapped drives did the trick:

- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
      - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
      - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
      - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
      - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Friday, June 22, 2007 10:58 PM