Global Address List Problems RRS feed

• Question

• I see a different global address list than my users and i was wondering if there were a certain set of permissions that i would need to apply to the users or a group of users to al display the same GAL?

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 2:30 PM

Answers

• Do you know if the secondary GAL was created before SP2 or after. Prior to SP2 some people tried to make seperate GAL's and use ACL's to try to block access to the Default GAL. This was not supported and may be hard to find where they made changes to do this. In SP2 Exchange implemented Address book policies which are much easier to deal with.

you may want to check the permissions on your GAL this may have to be done through ADSIEdit. so be carefull if you determine that is needed. it may be better to open a case with MS to trace it down.

Mitch Roberson MCM Exchange 2010|MCITP:Enterprise Server Admin, Messaging 2007, 2010 |MCTS:OCS with Voice Achievement |MCT |MCSE 2000\2003 |MCSE Messaging 2000\2003

• Proposed as answer by Noya Lau Sunday, June 17, 2012 8:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Monday, July 9, 2012 9:10 AM
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 3:02 PM

All replies

• Service Pack and Update Rollup installed on Exchange?

Are you seeing this through Outlook or OWA?

If Outlook, are you in cached mode or online mode?

If cached mode, how many OABs are configured in the org?

If only 1 OAB exists, is the "Include these Address lists" option turned on and if so how many ALs are in there?

Program Manager, Exchange Customer Advisory Team
    MCSA 2000/2003
    MCTS: Win Server 2008 AD, Configuration MCTS: Win Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuration
    MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
    Former Microsoft MVP, Exchange Server

NOTICE: My posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 2:32 PM
  • all updates and service packs are installed. I have two seperate GAL's becasue when i remove the secondary GAL my users lose access to all GAL's.  It is in OWA and in outlook.  its not an issue with the offline address book.  I just need to know if theres a way to specify which GAL a user will see.
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 2:35 PM
  • i guess what im wanting is for all users to be able to see the "default global address list" and be able to delete the secondary GAL so everyone is using the same GAL.  Clear as mud?
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 2:38 PM
  • Do you know if the secondary GAL was created before SP2 or after. Prior to SP2 some people tried to make seperate GAL's and use ACL's to try to block access to the Default GAL. This was not supported and may be hard to find where they made changes to do this. In SP2 Exchange implemented Address book policies which are much easier to deal with.

you may want to check the permissions on your GAL this may have to be done through ADSIEdit. so be carefull if you determine that is needed. it may be better to open a case with MS to trace it down.

Mitch Roberson MCM Exchange 2010|MCITP:Enterprise Server Admin, Messaging 2007, 2010 |MCTS:OCS with Voice Achievement |MCT |MCSE 2000\2003 |MCSE Messaging 2000\2003

• Proposed as answer by Noya Lau Sunday, June 17, 2012 8:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Monday, July 9, 2012 9:10 AM
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 3:02 PM
  • Exchange 2010 Service Pack 2 (SP2) introduces address book policies (ABPs).

When creating an ABP, you assign a GAL, an offline address book (OAB), a room list, and one or more address lists to the policy. You can then assign the ABP to mailbox users, providing them with access to a customized GAL in Outlook and Outlook Web App.

The goal is to provide a simpler mechanism to accomplish GAL segmentation for on-premises organizations that require multiple GALs. To learn more about ABPs, see Understanding Address Book Policies.

Noya Lau

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, June 7, 2012 10:42 AM