Publishing Client-Server application via UAG RRS feed

• Question

• Any suggestion on how to publish client/server application via UAG. For example C:/Program Files/SAP/Sapgui.exe which is a SAP GUI tool on the laptop to connect to the SAP Backend server in side network via UAG Client/Server application option.

The laptop user will connect and authentication with UAG from internet. UAG will show the portal, now who to start the non-web client from the client to connect to the back-end server via UAG.

Thanks, RSS

Monday, March 28, 2011 4:25 PM

Answers

• Ran and Jordan

Thanks a lot for your response. I got some direction

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 3:59 PM

All replies

• To tunnel traffic for a client/server application, add a "Generic Client Application" to your trunk. This will allow you to specify which backend application server that the user needs access to and over what ports. If you have multiple applications servers to contact, you can setup multiple servers/ports by using a single "Generic Client Application (multiple servers)" application.

Let us know if you run into any questions, thanks!

Monday, March 28, 2011 5:24 PM
  • I am able to run the application if I am showing UAG portal to the user. However here is my senario:

Here is the scenario.

·         Use login to UAG via form based authentication

·         User goes directly to SharePoint portal (UAG portal is not used) after login.

·         At SharePoint portal, User click on the SAP portal link

·         SAP Portal is displayed on user browser

·         Now, here there is a link called “Launch SAP GUI”.  When user click the link a configuration file is downloaded and Sapgui.exe (gui client) supposed to be launched and somehow connect to the UAG SSL tunnel to connect to the back-end.  This link is working from inside the network when we go directly to the SharePoint portal.

I am able to allow user to initiate the “Launch SAP GUI” link from the internet, it even start SAP GUI. The problem is at this moment SAP GUI client is no more using UAG connection it tries to connect to the back-end SAP server without using the UAG SSL tunnel/session.

As we are not using UAG portal (istead SAP portal), is there any way to force Sapgui.exe client to use UAG SSL tunnel /session  so that it can leverage Client-Server based configured application.

I don’t know if it is possible.

Thanks for the help

Monday, April 4, 2011 10:02 PM
  • Hi,

This should be possible (I'm saying "should" since I'm not familiar with the SAP GUI application). Here is what I suggest:

1. As Jordan already stated in this thread, you need to add a client/server app to your UAG trunk, in order to tunnel the traffic of the SAP GUI application. You will most probably want to use the Generic Silent Client Application template
    2. Since users will not manually click on the link of this application in the portal home page, you can uncheck the setting "Add portal and toolbar link" on the Portal Link tab of the Application Properties window (I know that your users do not even get to see the UAG Portal home page, but just in case this would change in the future)
    3. In order to launch this client/server app, you have two options:
      • On the Server Settings tab of the Application Properties window, select the option to Start the application automatically at user logon
      • Make this application a prerequisite of the SharePoint application - on the General tab of the SharePoint app

Regards,

-Ran
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 8:02 AM
  • Ran and Jordan

Thanks a lot for your response. I got some direction

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 3:59 PM