How to resolve "Cannot perform this operation. The file is no longer checked out or has been deleted." RRS feed

• Question

• Platform is MOSS 2007 service pack 3

User is using Office 2010 and Windows 7

When user checks out Excel spreadsheet, then opens it in Excel, makes changes, saves changes, and exits the program, she is prompted to check the document back in. When she clicks the button to do so, she then gets a Microsoft Excel error popup that says:

Cannot perform this operation. The file is no longer checked out or has been deleted.

The document, however, is checked out - to her, and thus is not deleted.

This happens pretty regularly.

The dlls on her machine have been examined and are the right versions.

The DNS has been checked and flushed.

There are no required columns without values.

The site collection is not particularly large (less than a GB).

The library has not been modified in SharePoint Designer

The user is frustrated and wants this fixed.

I am looking for suggestions on how to fix it.

Monday, December 10, 2012 5:56 PM

Answers

• I don't know of any third party tools that are installed.

An interesting thing happened in the last day or two (it has been so crazy at work that I am uncertain what happened what day).

Someone suggested creating a brand new document library in the same site and seeing if the same behavior occurred.

So the user did this, and the problem no longer exhibits itself.

I have no idea why a new library would cause such a problem to stop. But the user is happy now so I am satisfied.

It is just another use case of a solution for what appears to be a common problem.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:40 AM

All replies

• Do you have any 3rd party tools that might be overriding the "CheckOut" and "CheckIn" events?  These can cause errors that look like the user or Excel are doing it, but the 3rd party code is really doing it.

Chris Givens CEO, Architecting Connected Systems Blog Twitter

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 6:33 AM
  • I don't know of any third party tools that are installed.

An interesting thing happened in the last day or two (it has been so crazy at work that I am uncertain what happened what day).

Someone suggested creating a brand new document library in the same site and seeing if the same behavior occurred.

So the user did this, and the problem no longer exhibits itself.

I have no idea why a new library would cause such a problem to stop. But the user is happy now so I am satisfied.

It is just another use case of a solution for what appears to be a common problem.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:40 AM
  • Hi,

Did this issue resurface for you?  If so was there a fix?

We experience the same issue, and it is reproducible.

I have already eliminated alternative access mapping as the cause, and it is not related to SP Designer.

Many thanks.

Monday, March 18, 2013 5:12 PM
  • No, this has not resurfaced since the user created a new library.
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:46 PM
  • I've had this before with SP2010 & Office 2010.

Has someone set a mandatory column in the document library?

Check the properties of the document and if there is a mandatory field, complete it then try checking the document back in.

This resolved our issue.

It doesn't matter how tough you are, when a child hands you a toy phone, you answer it!

Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:19 PM