IE Not Working since system restore! RRS feed

• Question

• So today I found a problem on my laptop so I did a system restore (factory setting) on HP G62.

Everything went fine, I was able to reset everything including reloading wireless information with password.  The laptop then did an automatic update (which I knew was coming) it said it must be restarted.  However, since the restart the IE is no longer working.  I get error:  unable to display webpage  for websites that are simple like Google when I take a second try I get:  the address is not valid.

Here is another interesting factor, the wireless icon in the lower right hand corner sometimes shows a yellow flag indicating local access only no internet connection.

I verified that the password to the wireless is typed in correctly.

The internet works fine on other devices.

The HP laptop is not indicating any other updates.

Without IE working at all, I cannot even try another browser so I can download one to try!

Can someone please help??

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 5:05 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As Ricardo suggested, we should confirm whether we can connect to Internet or not first. Though the wireless icon shows a yellow flag, it doesn't really mean you lost network connection.

From the result of ipconfig /all, you can confirm if you obtain ip address and DNS. If you cannot, please attempt to diagnose your wireless network adapter and then manually assign ip address and dns server.

If you have no trouble obtaining ip, it can be related to DNS server. Thus, please attempt to ping www.google.com and ping 173.194.127.210 directly and check if it can ping correctly without resolution.

You can try purging DNS cache through running the command:

ipconfig /flushdns

Thanks!

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Tuesday, January 21, 2014 3:16 AM
    • Edited by 暁北 Tuesday, January 21, 2014 8:32 AM
    Sunday, January 12, 2014 6:45 AM

All replies

• Open Command Prompt - Start Menu - click Run or search for CMD.
    When CMD opens, type in ipconfig /all. Please post the results here. by looking at the results we should be able to tell if you even have a connection.

Other things I'd recommend:
    1. See if you can connect to any other wireless connection. (Public WiFi)
    2. Delete the current Wireless Profile at your laptop, and recreate it.
    3. (Using another device) Download your laptop's wireless adapter drivers, and reinstall them in your laptop.
    4. Reboot your network equipment, power down your Modem, and Router, wait 30 seconds and plug them back in.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Regards!

Ricardo Fuentes

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 6:03 AM
  • Hi,

As Ricardo suggested, we should confirm whether we can connect to Internet or not first. Though the wireless icon shows a yellow flag, it doesn't really mean you lost network connection.

From the result of ipconfig /all, you can confirm if you obtain ip address and DNS. If you cannot, please attempt to diagnose your wireless network adapter and then manually assign ip address and dns server.

If you have no trouble obtaining ip, it can be related to DNS server. Thus, please attempt to ping www.google.com and ping 173.194.127.210 directly and check if it can ping correctly without resolution.

You can try purging DNS cache through running the command:

ipconfig /flushdns

Thanks!

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Tuesday, January 21, 2014 3:16 AM
    • Edited by 暁北 Tuesday, January 21, 2014 8:32 AM
    Sunday, January 12, 2014 6:45 AM