none
DPM 2012 Bare Metal Recovery RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Is it possible to do bare metal recovery of vm to physical? I have Windows Server 2008 R2 (SharePoint 2010 web server) and it's Hyper-V and would like to do bare metal recovery to a physical HP Proliant DL360 G7 server.

I did try it but it kept rebooting to recovery mode. I think it's drivers issues.

Thanks

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 3:09 PM

Answers

• Thanks guys for the respond. We decided not take a chance and we just went with doing the manual way. Just moving those sites to the physical server manually. It worked fine with no issues. Thanks again.
    • Marked as answer by hmandi Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:29 PM
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Hmandi,

I have tried this before. I was not able to get it to work. Has anyone else been able to get this to work?

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Saturday, August 11, 2012 4:55 AM
  • I am attempting it this week; I will let you know how it goes.
    Saturday, August 11, 2012 11:35 AM
  • Hi,

It's not officially supported - see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249694 - but you can try installing the operating system on the DL360 first, then try restoring just the systemstate from WINRE and see if the server is bootable after that.  If so, then you can try doing ILR of data folders that are in the VHD back to the physical server, or another location that has a DPM agent installed on it.  Not sure is systemstate has all the sharepoint components in the backup or not, so it's a gamble.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, August 11, 2012 3:13 PM
  • Thanks guys for the respond. We decided not take a chance and we just went with doing the manual way. Just moving those sites to the physical server manually. It worked fine with no issues. Thanks again.
    • Marked as answer by hmandi Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:29 PM
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:29 PM