none
2012 Licensing vs. 2007 Licensing RRS feed

• Question

• Have read the documents and various threads, but I'm still confused as to the licensing.

With 2007 DPM, we had effectively two licenses:  1. A license for the actual DPM server itself and 2. A license for each server that was being backed up.

With 2012, I'm confused as to whether the 'Standard or Datacenter' license is for the DPM server itself, or for all servers.  

So, in our case we currently have 1 server running DPM 2007 and 4 servers being backed up to that server.  I have no interest currently in the other features of the suite, just DPM.  Which licenses would we need in that scenario?  It almost seems like the client licenses are becoming similar to CALs.  

Thursday, October 4, 2012 4:12 PM

Answers

• Have read the documents and various threads, but I'm still confused as to the licensing.

With 2007 DPM, we had effectively two licenses:  1. A license for the actual DPM server itself and 2. A license for each server that was being backed up.

With 2012, I'm confused as to whether the 'Standard or Datacenter' license is for the DPM server itself, or for all servers.  

So, in our case we currently have 1 server running DPM 2007 and 4 servers being backed up to that server.  I have no interest currently in the other features of the suite, just DPM.  Which licenses would we need in that scenario?  It almost seems like the client licenses are becoming similar to CALs.  

Licensing have changed to a suite based so it is not possible to buy DPM as a stand alone product.

If you are running phsycial hardware you would need 5 SystemCenter Suite standard edition if all servers are 2cpu or below

It have simplified the license but for many smaller enviroments it will raise the cost beyond reason if you "only" want the one produt

my blog is at http://flemmingriis.com , let me know if you found the post or blog helpfull or leaves room for improvement

Sunday, October 7, 2012 4:14 PM

All replies

• Hi

You can have a look here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/1/1/11128EC7-2BE7-480C-9D46-4ECECA9E481A/System%20Center%202012%20Licensing%20Datasheet.pdf

Perhaps Mike can shed more light regarding this.

Hope it helps

Thursday, October 4, 2012 4:48 PM

Licensing have changed to a suite based so it is not possible to buy DPM as a stand alone product.

If you are running phsycial hardware you would need 5 SystemCenter Suite standard edition if all servers are 2cpu or below

It have simplified the license but for many smaller enviroments it will raise the cost beyond reason if you "only" want the one produt

my blog is at http://flemmingriis.com , let me know if you found the post or blog helpfull or leaves room for improvement

Sunday, October 7, 2012 4:14 PM