none
DPM2010 and DPM2012 report Replica is inconsistent for BMR and SS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I'm struggling with"Replica is inconsistent" status on Computer\System Protection\Bare metal Recovery and the same on Computer\System Protection\System State. The server to be backed up is a hyperv host (WS2008R2), other data in the same server backup OK, such as Child Partition Snapshots (x3), Initial Store, the C: drive and a SQL Database (for VMM).

For the BMR it gives following Disk allocation figures: Replica volume: 152,59 GB allocated, 132,24 GB used | Recovery point volume: 6,56 GB allocated, 61,57 MB used

The figures for SS are the same.

I had the problem with DPM2010, did a successful upgrade to DPM2012 but the problems did not go away alas.

Any ideas?

Regards, Ivo

Regards, Ivo

Friday, May 25, 2012 8:05 AM

Answers

• Hello Marcus,

thank you for the clarification on how to check WS backup on the server I'm trying to protect. I had already removed the system protection items in the Protection Group, when I added them back, I got a double "Replica inconsistent, verification in progress".

I was monitoring the server then the way you indicated and a Backup task message was added in the list and double-clicking got me to a Progress window, where there were two Items:Local disk (C) and Bare metal recovery. For the local disk less than 1GB had to be transferred and this completed successfully (Status column!). Immediately thereafter the Status on the second items (BMR) also turned in "Completed" no Data Transferred values though (it shows a - symbol only). To my surprise, the overall message now showed: Time - Backup - Successful. In the DPM  Protection Group the Failure icons disappeared and I have all green OK now.

I'm very happy with this result although I do not know what's different now from before. Let's say that the double modification of the Protection Group had a positive effect...

Regards, Ivo

Friday, May 25, 2012 2:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

On DPM Monitoring, could you tell me if you have any alert related to this job ?

Check Windows Backup Server (WBS) on the protected server to see if your BMR/SS backup is successfull.

Stéphane.

Friday, May 25, 2012 8:58 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

Druing my DPM2010->DPM2012 I had to check the replica consistency. All went OK but these two (SS and BMR). On DPM Monitoring it says "Replica is inconsistent", and the following info in the Details:

Failed to create the System State backup within the timeout period. (ID 30215 Details: Internal error code: 0x80990ED1)

On the protected server, the Windows Server Backup feature is installed. Where do I have to check?

Regards, Ivo

Friday, May 25, 2012 10:20 AM
  • Log onto the server you are protecting and open Windows Server backup there. Then start your CC job on the DPM server and monitor what Windows Server backup is doing. It should give you an error code.
    Friday, May 25, 2012 1:22 PM
  • Hello Marcus,

thank you for the clarification on how to check WS backup on the server I'm trying to protect. I had already removed the system protection items in the Protection Group, when I added them back, I got a double "Replica inconsistent, verification in progress".

I was monitoring the server then the way you indicated and a Backup task message was added in the list and double-clicking got me to a Progress window, where there were two Items:Local disk (C) and Bare metal recovery. For the local disk less than 1GB had to be transferred and this completed successfully (Status column!). Immediately thereafter the Status on the second items (BMR) also turned in "Completed" no Data Transferred values though (it shows a - symbol only). To my surprise, the overall message now showed: Time - Backup - Successful. In the DPM  Protection Group the Failure icons disappeared and I have all green OK now.

I'm very happy with this result although I do not know what's different now from before. Let's say that the double modification of the Protection Group had a positive effect...

Regards, Ivo

Friday, May 25, 2012 2:01 PM
  • What could have happened is that the replica and recovery volumes on DPM got corrupted. I have seen that happening several times. If you remove the datasource, delete the data and add again this is fixed. Sometimes just removing the datasource and retaining the data will also fix weird CC issue.
    Friday, May 25, 2012 2:04 PM
  • We had this issue on a server that didn't have the Windows Server Backup feature installed.  After installing the issue went away.

boom

Friday, March 22, 2013 2:45 PM