none
Is it possible to make Read-Only Folder in Group Policy?

Question

• Hi,

I'm new here. We are using Windows Server 2008 R2 and in our office network we have folders that is shared to the users so they can save their files on that folder/drive for their backup in the server. I would like to ask if it is really possible in GP that I can make the shared folder in our network to make it read-only? I will make the folder for the users to read the files only on that folder and they can save only on that folder but they cannot copy anything to their computer. Thank you in advance for the help and answers.

Regards,

JL

Sunday, July 26, 2015 8:02 AM

Answers

• Hi JL,

“I will make the folder for the users to read the files only on that folder and they can save only on that folder but they cannot copy anything to their computer.” Do you want to realize the user can save their file to that folder but can not copy this data to their computer? If yes, I have to tell you that is not possible achieved and it not about group policy, when we allow users write data and they also have read permission same time.

Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 10:12 AM

All replies

• You can create network share and map it to end users as network drive using Group Policy. Take a look at http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2009/01/07/using-group-policy-preferences-to-map-drives-based-on-group-membership.aspx
    Sunday, July 26, 2015 5:23 PM
  • Hi JL,

“I will make the folder for the users to read the files only on that folder and they can save only on that folder but they cannot copy anything to their computer.” Do you want to realize the user can save their file to that folder but can not copy this data to their computer? If yes, I have to tell you that is not possible achieved and it not about group policy, when we allow users write data and they also have read permission same time.

Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 10:12 AM