none
Getting same properties customization in PPS charts as SSRS RRS feed

• Question

• I created Analytical Pie chart in PPS. But, the identical one in SSRS is so pretty. How can I achieve the same customization as SSRS, but still use the score card and KPI features? I like using a cube, but the dashboard designer properties for the charts is very lacking.

Has anyone found a way to use the same vast amount of properties in ssrs for PPS Analytical charts?

Monday, July 2, 2012 10:04 PM

Answers

• As far as I know there is no way. You can change the background and some other minor items. You may look into jQuery by inspecting page elements and changing them accordingly.

Alternatively you can use your SSRS pie chart report in the dashboard and hook it up with filters and scorecards.

http://dailyitsolutions.blogspot.com/

• Marked as answer by nick5454 Wednesday, July 11, 2012 6:43 PM
    Wednesday, July 4, 2012 1:42 PM
  • If you are talking about adding data labels (this is an item that is greatly desired in PPS, but is lacking) then you are out of luck.  This definitely needs to be added to PPS and it is available in every other product.  If you need this then you need to switch to SSRS, Excel, or other tool and take the hit of losing some of the nice drill down functionality that PPS provides out-of-the-box.

Dan English's BI Blog

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 2:22 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately you would not find any customization from the UI or out of the box in PPS.

But you can work with PSS CSS files to get the styles/coloring you like:

Working with the Monitoring CSS Files to Adjust Settings in Deployed Dashboards

Remember to take backup/copy of files before modifying.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 1:46 PM
  • So there's no way through code to modify the chart? Those css properties are cool, but they don't actually format the chart only the web part around it. Unless you know of other css file that aren't in the PPS web part folder.

Thanks,

Nick

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 3:09 PM
  • As far as I know there is no way. You can change the background and some other minor items. You may look into jQuery by inspecting page elements and changing them accordingly.

Alternatively you can use your SSRS pie chart report in the dashboard and hook it up with filters and scorecards.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 1:42 PM
  • If you are talking about adding data labels (this is an item that is greatly desired in PPS, but is lacking) then you are out of luck.  This definitely needs to be added to PPS and it is available in every other product.  If you need this then you need to switch to SSRS, Excel, or other tool and take the hit of losing some of the nice drill down functionality that PPS provides out-of-the-box.

Dan English's BI Blog

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 2:22 AM
  • Yeah I noticed that I can't actually hooking or add a feature that allows me to customize the look and feel when it generates the chart.

I also noticed that like MSChart, it creates an image instead of html controls. The javascript events used are then just x,y ref areas. jQuery formatting won't work.

IF the PPS team would allow some Features to be added then we could hook into this and make all the customizations we want.

Thanks,

Nick

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 6:43 PM