Implementing Trace Flag 1118 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

Having read about this flag, can someone let me know if existing allocations will be left as they are or is there a process I should follow other than adding it to the start up switches? I wouldn't want to corrupt my databases!

Thanks

Rich

Thursday, March 8, 2018 11:26 PM

Answers

• Hi All

Having read about this flag, can someone let me know if existing allocations will be left as they are or is there a process I should follow other than adding it to the start up switches? I wouldn't want to corrupt my databases!

Thanks

Rich

Adding to what Tibor has already said when you add that switch in startup parameter it requires restart following which tempdb is cleared and new allocations will be according to the trace flag. Yes when you run it via DBCC TRACEON existing allocations would not be affected and only new ones will be.

My recommendation is to add it into startup parameters and restart the SQl Server service and it will be there always unless removed

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

• Proposed as answer by Hannah Yu Tuesday, March 13, 2018 8:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Olaf HelperMVP Saturday, November 10, 2018 7:33 AM
    Friday, March 9, 2018 9:07 AM
  • Just to add a bit of clarifications: My comments was more targeted to user databases which has persisted data. Tempdb is obviously re-created at startup, so there is nothing that existed earlier for tempdb.

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP (Web Blog)

Friday, March 9, 2018 9:10 AM

All replies

• No worries. Existing allocations will be as they were.

And that doesn't really matter, since you're after the potential concurrency improvements for *new* allocations (not hammering the SGAM as much as you do today). At least that is the general reason why to use this trace flag.

Friday, March 9, 2018 7:51 AM
  • Hi All

Thanks

Rich

Adding to what Tibor has already said when you add that switch in startup parameter it requires restart following which tempdb is cleared and new allocations will be according to the trace flag. Yes when you run it via DBCC TRACEON existing allocations would not be affected and only new ones will be.

My recommendation is to add it into startup parameters and restart the SQl Server service and it will be there always unless removed

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Friday, March 9, 2018 9:07 AM
  • Just to add a bit of clarifications: My comments was more targeted to user databases which has persisted data. Tempdb is obviously re-created at startup, so there is nothing that existed earlier for tempdb.

Friday, March 9, 2018 9:10 AM