read only file will not change to read write. RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a problem changing a folder from read only to read/write. logged in under the admin account it still will not work.
    specs are as follows
    proliant DL380, microsoft SBS 2008 64 bit, exchange 07.
    I right click the offending folder, properties, and deselect read only. then click apply and then OK. right click the folder again, and it comes up with the read only box still checked.
    what gives?
    this is causing some work stations to not have access to the file. yet others work just fine.
    i am perplexed by this. it makes no sense.
    any info or tips as to how to fix this would be immensely valuable and greatly appreciated
    thanks

Friday, February 13, 2009 5:10 PM

Answers

• I would look higher up the folder hierarchy. For the files currently in the folder, you can stop the inheriting of permissions, which is why the permissions get reset because the files inherit the read only rights from the folder.

To break the inheritence, go to the security tab of file properties, then find the user you want to break the inheritance for. Click Advanced and then find the box "Inherit from parent the permission entries...", and uncheck it to break the permission inheritance.
    Thanks,
    If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 5:25 AM

All replies

•  on folder rightclick and select security tab and give rights under permissions to user this should solve the issue
    Friday, February 13, 2009 5:27 PM
  • Kiranmp said:

on folder rightclick and select security tab and give rights under permissions to user this should solve the issuejust looked, everyone has full controll of the folder under the security tab.
    this is too wierd.

Friday, February 13, 2009 5:35 PM
  • if others are accesing from network then you can give sharing to that folder
    Friday, February 13, 2009 5:48 PM
  • Kiranmp said:

if others are accesing from network then you can give sharing to that folder

all users on the network have full access to the file and folder.

the odd part is that the folder is read only, but the fles in the folder are full access.
    is there some sort of default that needs to be changed elsewhere that might be causing it to revert to read only status for some reason?
    i have tried changing the folders status to full read write access under a few different accounts and still no luck.
    as it stands now, all users local and network have full controll over the folder in question.
    the folder will allow me to change it to full access not just read only, but once i click apply and OK. it will revert right back to read only status.
    Friday, February 13, 2009 6:34 PM
  • Try to use the Process Explorer utility from the Sysinternals to find out other processes locked these files.
    Leonid Ganeline [BizTalk MVP] http://geekswithblogs.net/leonidganeline
    Friday, February 13, 2009 11:14 PM
  • I would look higher up the folder hierarchy. For the files currently in the folder, you can stop the inheriting of permissions, which is why the permissions get reset because the files inherit the read only rights from the folder.

To break the inheritence, go to the security tab of file properties, then find the user you want to break the inheritance for. Click Advanced and then find the box "Inherit from parent the permission entries...", and uncheck it to break the permission inheritance.
    Thanks,
    If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 5:25 AM