How to Operate Task Bar Using the Keyboard? RRS feed

• Question

• There's a new context menu available for anchors displayed in the task bar, allowing to ...
    • launch a new process of the same program
    • remove or add a link to the running process to the Quick Launch area of the Task Bar
    • close the process's window
    How can I access/operate this context menu using the keyboard?

Sunday, September 6, 2009 11:40 AM

All replies

• This context menu is called the "Jump List".

Please see "Windows 7 Tips" in my signature for keyboard shortcuts. I believe it covers most of your questions here, post which ones it didn't answer here please!
    Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!

Curious about Win7 min. system requirements?
    Readme: Older ATI, Intel onboard graphics, or NVIDIA graphics cards on Windows 7
    Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 1:20 PM
  • Thanks for the link and the helpful information there!

Unfortunately none of them answered my question. It's just one: "How can I open/access/operate the Jump List menu using the keyboard?"

Thanks!
    Axel
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 1:47 PM
  • Yeah, the Jump List shortcuts I had were mouse ones.... Have so many shortcuts forgot what was what...

...except I just found this blog post which reveals the shortcut to open the jump list, then use the arrow keys and enter to choose a Jump List option.
    I have updated my tips to reflect the new shortcuts.

Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!

Readme: Older ATI, Intel onboard graphics, or NVIDIA graphics cards on Windows 7
    Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    • Marked as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Tuesday, September 8, 2009 9:10 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by BetterToday Wednesday, September 23, 2009 9:28 AM
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 2:12 PM
  • Excellent! Thanks a lot, Joel!
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 11:29 PM
  • You're welcome! Please mark the post that helped as an answer or vote as helpful, it is much appreciated.

Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    Monday, September 7, 2009 12:08 AM
  • To keep it simple, you can press the Win key, hit Esc to close the Start Menu, tab to the TaskBar, and use the > arrow key to get to the one you want.

Once you are there press the Menu key (the one to the right of the right Win key).

This will open the context menu.  Use the ^ arrow key to go up to the menu item you want.
    Monday, September 7, 2009 3:12 AM
  • To keep it simple, you can press the Win key, hit Esc to close the Start Menu, tab to the TaskBar, and use the > arrow key to get to the one you want.

Once you are there press the Menu key (the one to the right of the right Win key).

This will open the context menu.  Use the ^ arrow key to go up to the menu item you want.

That is simple? I think win+alt+# of app, then use arrow keys to navigate through JL options is a lot more simpler than your way of getting the Jump List to open, don't how how you call it simple!

Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    Monday, September 7, 2009 1:17 PM
  • ... and it just opens the standard context menu, as I've mentioned in one of my previous replies.
    Monday, September 7, 2009 7:51 PM
  • I prefer to use hot keys I already know, rather than learning new three-finger salutes.

I see no difference between the right-click menu and the menu key menu.

As a bonus, you get aero peek, just using the keyboard.
    Monday, September 7, 2009 8:35 PM
  • I believe the reason because I get the standard context menu is based on the fact that my notebook DELL XPS 1730 doesn't actually have a context menu key. I'm substituting this by pressing <SHIFT>+<F10>. Usually both key (combinations) should yield the same result. Perhaps it's different this time?
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 9:32 AM