none
Projects and Time sheet migration to Project Online how the actual's will behave RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

We have scenario

1. We have a project with Task A and Resource A has submitted time sheet for 10 hours on the actual's are on the task.

2. We have moved this project online and i can see this 10 hours in task usage view in project online

3. But we haven't move the time sheet as of now there are now time sheets now

4. Now if we move the time sheet to online we will have a different timesheet uid and we will have 10 hours there once we approve the timesheet automatically  this 10 hours will go to project plan 

5. Now i will have 10 + 10 = 20 hours on the task ? 

6. Do we have any flag to stop the timesheet to update again in the project plan

Please suggest on this.

Thank You!!

Geeth If you feel that the answer which i gave you is Helpful please select it as Answer/helpful.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 4:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

you won't get additional 10hrs anyway.

However, thanks to your question, I have just learned something ;).

In earlier versions, if there are 10 hours in Project plan in a timesheet period, these 10 hrs had been prepopulated into timesheet. If you submitted timesheet, these 10 hrs stayed there. If you are using single entry mode, the same 10hrs had been sent, so no change.

Now, it seems that tasks with actual work are only pre-populated, if there is remaining work within this timesheet period when Single Entry Mode is ON. Eg.

• 8 hours last Wednesday and 8 hrs today, no remaining work. Task is not displayed at all in timesheets for last and current period
    • 8 hours last Wednesday and 8 hrs today, 1hr remaining work. Task is not displayed for last period, but is for current period with 8 hours Actual Work today and 1hr work for tomorrow.

After turning off Single Entry mode, timesheets display Actual Work as it is in project plan. Since I am not sure, what you want to happen:

• If you want actuals in timesheets in the past, I suggest to turn Single Entry Mode off, create all past timesheets (they will have actual work in there) and turn SEM on, after all timesheets are created.
    • If you don't care about values in past timesheets, since you have actuals already in your projects, just create them with SEM enabled. Nothing will happen to ACtual Work in projects for tasks, not included in timesheets.

Please let me know, if I am confused you. It si not so easy to describe....

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 5:04 PM
  • Hi Barbara,

Thank you for the reply,  have couple of questions on the below 

After turning off Single Entry mode, timesheets display Actual Work as it is in project plan. Since I am not sure, what you want to happen:

Geeth: I have moved a project which started in January 1st 2016 to Project online and i have actuals in the project plan. There are no timesheets during the movement after project is moved successfully i want to create timesheeets for all resources from January 1st. If i turn of single entry mode and create a timesheet of jan1st week do i see the actuals in the timesheet?

• If you want actuals in timesheets in the past, I suggest to turn Single Entry Mode off, create all past timesheets (they will have actual work in there) and turn SEM on, after all timesheets are created.
    • Geeth:  If i have actual work already present in the timesheets then i can approve them by turning off SEM but later after i created all the timesheets and turn on SEM and project manager published the project will that affect the actuals or it will be the same as earlier?
    • If you don't care about values in past timesheets, since you have actuals already in your projects, just create them with SEM enabled. Nothing will happen to ACtual Work in projects for tasks, not included in timesheets.
      Geeth: If i create old timesheets (like historic) ones then what will happen will the actuals will double or same as earlier? when SEM is enabled

Geeth If you feel that the answer which i gave you is Helpful please select it as Answer/helpful.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 5:21 PM
  • Hi,

I try in short:

• Turn SEM off and create all timesheets from the past. Save them. You can also submit at this point, baut also do later on
    • Turn SEM on
    • Submit all past timesheets if not done in the first step

There will not be any duplication in any case. If you create old timesheets with SEM enabled, tasks will not be included in timesheet at all (f there is no remaining wiork in this period). After submitting, Actual Work in project of these tasks will not be modified.

Just be aware of the following: If you moved all projects to Project Online, you will be the status manager for all tasks. So all Status Updates will be sent to you - until someone else sets himself as status manager.

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 5:55 PM