cmd prompt Window at load App-V Package RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

We try to virtualize Visio and Project 2016 with ODT v.10321.33602 to publish in AppV 5.1.

Our environment does look like this:

APPV Full Infrastructure Version: 5.1

ODT Version: officedeploymenttool_10321.33602 Office 2016 Version: 16.0.9126.2259

License: Visio Professional 2016 C2R-P for use with the Office Deployment Tool, Project Professional 2016 C2R-P for use with the Office Deployment Tool

The Configuration.xml looks like this:

<Configuration>

<Add OfficeClientEdition="32" Channel="Targeted">

<Product ID="VisioProXVolume" PIDKEY=" XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX">

<Language ID="en-us"/>

<Language ID="de-de"/>

<Language ID="fr-fr"/>

</Product>

<Product ID="ProjectProXVolume" PIDKEY=" XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX">

<Language ID="en-us"/>

<Language ID="de-de"/>

<Language ID="fr-fr"/>

</Product>

</Add>

<Updates Enabled="FALSE"/>

<Display Level="None" AcceptEULA="TRUE"/>

<Property Name="AUTOACTIVATE" Value="1"/>

</Configuration>

At user logon when App-V packages are loaded, we receive a cmd window that contains the following:

Integrator Mode[Install] Scope [User] Phase [Complete] Scenario [AppV] Actions [Extension] PackageRoot["C:\ProgramData\App-V\%PackageGuid%\Root"] PackageGUID[%PackageGuid%] Msi[] Licenses [] PRIDNames [])

It disapears after 2 seconds the App-V package (Office Visio/Project) can be started successfully.

Does anybody know why this window does appear and how we could disable or hide it?

Thx

• Edited by Ly-M Monday, July 16, 2018 1:24 PM
    Friday, July 13, 2018 6:52 AM

All replies

• The App-V package uses a package script to solve the licensing issue.  It sounds like you are seeing that window, which normally we don't see.

Hopefully this gives you a direction to troubleshoot.

App-V MVP & CTP Fellow. Author of AppV books: PowerShell with App-V 5, The Application Book, & Window Caching (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books)

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 7:33 PM
  • Hi Tim

Thank you for your reply. I supposed that its something like this. I am curious why this happens since we use the latest version of ODT which should work fine with office 2016 and our Licence Key for ODT. I am now trying to find a way to supress the pop up of the window we normally don't see.

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 7:25 AM
  • Chances are that the office team broke something in the new ODT and you should probably report it to Microsoft to get it to the Office Team (the office team doesn't look at the App-V forum).

To further self-diagnose, you would make a copy of your App-V package, rename it to Zip, and extract out the AppXManifest.xml file.  Grab a copy of a free tool called AppXManifestEditor and look at the scripts tab. (You can't fix anything here with this method and your copy of the App-V package is broken by this technique, this is only for investigation.)  That is where the  script to run is defined.  If you have an older copy of the ODT hanging around, you could build a package with that and compare.

If you think there is a manual workaround, you would open up the App-V package created by the new ODT inside the App-V Sequencer and select to edit the package.  This will take you into the sequencer editor where you would go to the advanced tab and export out the AppXManifest file.  Drop it on your desktop, use AppXManifestEditor to fix the script and save. Then in the sequence editor import the changed file and save off the package.

If you find such a workaround please post it here for others! And consider opening a ticket with Microsoft so that they fix it.

Tim

App-V MVP & CTP Fellow. Author of AppV books: PowerShell with App-V 5, The Application Book, & Window Caching (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books)

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 11:28 AM
  • Thank you very much for your advices. I will follow your instructions and further investigate the App-V package. I downloaded AppXManifestEditor in the past. As soon as I find a solution I will definitively post it here. Also I will open a ticket with Microsoft to let them fixe it.

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 1:59 PM
  • Hi,

We ran into this issue a while ago, the Integrator piece is part of the licensing. To hide the CMD popup we added a vbscript (see below) to the script location and passed the Integrator args to the VBScript on Publish e.g.

[{AppVPackageRoot}]\..\Scripts\Integrator.vbs /I /Extension /User /AppV PackageGUID=EB51A3D4-B87F-4676-AD01-5D583ABE053C PackageRoot="[{AppVPackageRoot}]"

' ------------------------------------------------------

' Usage     :   Run WScript script named the same as base name of the EXE to hide output (No CMD prompt)
    '
    ' The name of this VBScript must match the name of the EXE to be run, and reside in the same directory.
    ' Arguments given to the VBScript are parsed through to the EXE, e.g.
    '
    '    Test1.exe -Arg1 -Arg2   
    '
    '    Would be run as:
    '
    '    Test1.vbs -Arg1 -Arg2
    '
    '============================================================'================================================

'Get name of this script and replace extension with .EXE
    strN0 = Replace(Ucase(WScript.ScriptFullName), ".VBS", ".EXE")

'Read Arguments
    Set objArgs = Wscript.Arguments
    For Each strArg in objArgs
        If Instr(1, strArg, " ", vbTextCompare)>0 then 'if contains a space
            StrAllArg=StrAllArg&" """&strArg&""""   'Enclose with double quotes
        Else
            StrAllArg=StrAllArg&" "&strArg
        End If
    Next

StrCommand = chr(34) & strN0 & chr(34) &" "&StrAllArg
    set WSshell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

'Launch EXE hidden

WSshell.Run StrCommand,0    '0=run Hidden

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 5:44 PM
  • Thank you very much for your help

I now try to add the vb skript to the office package with AppXManifestEditor.

Microsoft doesn't support this do they?

I will post my (hopefully) success ..

Friday, July 20, 2018 7:26 AM
  • I added the vbscript of Sguilly [UK] (see above) to the script location and passed the Integrator args to the VBScript on Publish e.g.

This was done with the App-V Sequencer: I edited the package and exported the AppXManifest.

After modifying the AppXManifest I imported it and saved the package. Everything worked fine.

[{AppVPackageRoot}]\..\Scripts\Integrator.vbs /I /Extension /User /AppV PackageGUID=EB51A3D4-B87F-4676-AD01-5D583ABE053C PackageRoot="[{AppVPackageRoot}]"

At logon there was no more cmd Window and the application started. Unfortunately the Office Product wasn't activated anymore. As I mentioned above we used 

ODT Version: officedeploymenttool_10321.33602 Office 2016 Version: 16.0.9126.2259

and appropriate License.

Since we don't want to global publish App-V Packages (Microsoft suggest publishing global) we have to find a way to supress this cmd window but have the product activated.

• Edited by Ly-M Thursday, July 26, 2018 12:09 PM
    Tuesday, July 24, 2018 6:42 AM
  • Referring to the following TechNet Forum Thread, creating Volume Licensing App-V Packages of Office 2016 is no longer supported.

The following Product IDs are supported: Product IDs that are supported by the Office Deployment Tool for Click-to-Run

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 12:51 PM
  • Referring to the following TechNet Forum Thread, creating Volume Licensing App-V Packages of Office 2016 is no longer supported.

The following Product IDs are supported: Product IDs that are supported by the Office Deployment Tool for Click-to-Run

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 12:51 PM
  • I don't have a reference on this, but I believe that when they dropped support for the Volume licensing via App-V, they dropped it only on the suite, but individual components of Visio and Project are still supported.

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 1:43 PM