Exchange 2013 UM Problem Calling Outlook Voice Access Number From Outside RRS feed

• Question

• Here is the scenario:

2 Exchange 2013 servers both with CAS and MBX roles

IP PBX (UM IP Gateway) = Mitel 3300 ICP

One Exchange CAS configured on Mitel as SIP Peer

Reroute on Mitel configured when not answered or busy

Dial Plan = Telephone Extension (obviously not associated with either Exchange servers since only SIP URI can be associated with an Exchange 2013 UM)

When calling a busy or non answered extension UM answers properly and focuses on the appropriate mailbox regardless of which server is hosting the users home db. When dialing the Outlook Voice Access number from any extension configured as a UM extension on a mailbox UM properly focuses on the appropriate mailbox and asks for PIN.

PROBLEM - When calling the Outlook Voice Access number from any phone extension or outside line that is not associated with a specific mailbox, the system prompts for the extension of the mailbox you want to access. If the mailbox is in a db being hosted by the answering CAS role call router it finds the mailbox and prompts for PIN. If the mailbox is actively hosted on a db running on the other MBX server from the answering CAS router, after entering the extension for the mailbox you want to logon to, the call seems to get automatically placed on hold (perhaps even routed back to Mitel) the Outlook voice Access number called again, UM answers and prompts again. Basically the call ends up in a loop.

I tested this by moving the mounted copy of the database the user mailbox is in back to the CAS role server to which the Mitel  system is configured to route calls to and all works as it should. It is only when the mailbox is on a db mounted on the other server that the calls go into a loop.

Friday, August 23, 2013 1:41 AM

All replies

• I'm trying to get our Mitel 3300 to connect to 2013, but I'm not able to get it to work at all. Are there any special settings you had to set on either the Mitel 3300 or Exchange 2013 to get it to work initially?

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 7:32 PM
  • Hey Peter, Did you get a resolution on your issue ?

I have the same problem but with a little different environment. Its a co-existence setup with Exch2010 and 2013 and we have Lync 2013 in place of Mitel.
    VM works when calling to 2013 mailbox user but not a 2010 mailbox user, after some extensive troubleshooting with Lync EXuMRouting logs, UM logs in both the server - I see the same condition, call is getting looped but finally drops. The caller after entering their extension#, hears dialing sound until the call gets dropped.

System mailboxes (arbitration) are the ones which help identify the mailbox location through homeMDB and in my case the SM's are moved to 2013. This was a working setup for me which recently broke. We are in the middle of migrating to O365 including UM but not started anything on UM portion of migration though we have a fully functional Hybrid setup
    Friday, October 18, 2013 3:42 AM
  • Just added a network element that points to an exchange 2013 CAS, an ARS route, ARS digits dialed, new SIP Peer Profile, etc and then specified the same Class of Service.
    Friday, October 18, 2013 12:55 PM
  • No resolution yet but am supposed to have a support call with a Mitel engineer today. They say they have not been able to repeat the reported issue but want to make sure they get their test environment setup like ours. I suspect they are using a monolithic exchange setup with CAS and MBX on same server and only one server.
    Friday, October 18, 2013 1:00 PM
  • We have the same issue with our Cisco Call manager..

I believe the issue revolves around the difference in how the call is redirected..

On a call from a EUM associated with a mailbox, The  Exchange CAS UM Routing service issues a 302 Move Temporary to redirect the call to the proper mailbox server on port 5062. The mailbox server then does another 302 Move temporary to ports 5065 or 5067. From there the call is established and the audio data starts.

On a call form an Unknown number the call routes to the mailbox server holding the SA (System Attendant) mailbox by the same process. The call establishes and you get prompted by the SA for your extension.

You enter your extension and one of two things will happen.. 

1. IF your mailbox happens to be homed on the same mailbox server as the SA.. you will connect and get your voice mail.. This is because there is no redirect needed.

2. Your mailbox is homed to another server.. The SA's  Mailbox server issues a 302 Redirect (not the same as move temporary) telling the PBX to break the connection and establish a new conection to the other mailbox server on port 5062..

This is where we go off the rails (I suspect) because the PBX has no SIP path to the other mailbox server.

As mentioned in this thread on the Cisco forum they has to add Sip trunks to each mailbox server on 5062-5068 to provide a path for the redirect.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2236935

• Edited by Scott A Schering Thursday, October 31, 2013 6:26 PM edit port numbers for sip trunk
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 9:33 PM
  • I had come to the same conclusion after much wireshark capturing and testing. The problem in the Mitel environment is that it seems to only route using digits dialed. So, when the redirect comes in it sees the redirect as ####@other.server and the Mitel 3300 ignores everything but the ####. It then proceeds to route based on digits dialed which then sends it back to the original server. This all happens regardless of whether you have programmed a SIP trunk to other.server. Essentially it ends up putting the call in an endless loop the user cannot break out of other than to hang up or specify the number of a mailbox that is hosted on a database on the answering server. Mitel engineering is looking at the issue as I type this and is hoping to come up with a solution.
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 10:41 PM
  • we got the same issue in Exchange 2013 with CAS and mailbox server separate boxes) and Mitel 3300). Any updates from Mitel engineer?

Tim

Friday, May 9, 2014 11:37 AM