Sending email to the distribution group (Sharepoint 2010 and exchange 2010) RRS feed

• Question

• I have a workflow that only send an email to an active directory group, but the email cannot be delivery. So, i read that Sharepoint only works with Security Groups and i tried the following:

1) I created an account int the Active directory and i configured my outgoing mail with this account.

2) I created a distribution group in the active directory and i added two members user accounts.

3) I added this distribution group on the Exchange Server 2010.

4) So, i created a "Hub Transport Rule" with two components:  The first was "from people" (where "people" is the user account that i configured my outgoing smtp server) and the second component is "sent to a member" (with the Sharepoint distribution that i created)

5) Click on "next"

6) Click on "finish"

When i verify if the user member of this group, received the mail, Surprise!!!! the mail doesn't come back.

Is there another way to deliver this mail?? Am i creating correctly this rule?

Greetings

• Edited by Aleds Tuesday, October 4, 2011 8:08 PM
    • Moved by Jinchun ChenMicrosoft employee Thursday, October 6, 2011 5:51 AM Rather than a SharePoint question, it should be an Exchange question. (From:SharePoint 2010 - General Questions and Answers)
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 8:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Aleds,

You mean all the members of distribution group have not received the email, right?

How did you add the distribution group on the Exchange Server 2010?

If add the group as mail-enabled group on Exchange 2010, you don’t need to use transport rule.

On the Exchange side, you can follow these steps to have a try:

<1> You can create an account in the AD (let’s say Test) and configure your outgoing mail with this account.

<2> Create a Universal-Security group in AD (let’s say Test Group)and added members to this group.

<3> Since this is Universal-security Group, you can add it as Mail Universal Security Group on Exchange 2010:

Exchange Management Console->Recipient Configuration->Distribution Group->New Distribution Group->choose Existing Group->choose “Test Group”->Next->input the alias for the group(I keep it the same as group created in AD)->Next->New

After that when  you use account (Test) send emails to Group (Test Group), all the members in Test Group will receive the email.

Thanks,

Evan

Friday, October 7, 2011 3:06 AM