Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-850S ATA Device RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio Laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium on it.  I too have the same problem with my CD/DVD ROM.  I am not able to play or load anything onto my laptop,  It spins but nothing onthe screen.  I have spent the last 2 months looking online, downloading everything I can find from Microsoft and Sony and reading all the possible solutions, but have not figured it out yet.  My error code is 10.  The driver is up to date but cannot start is the message that I receive.  I am at my wits end trying to figure this out.  Please help.  I have only had this computer for 6 months and it just stopped working after about 4 months.

Thanks

MB

Monday, February 18, 2008 1:59 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You can try the following steps to troubleshoot the issue:

Method 1 If you have any third-party CD/DVD-burning software such as Naro or Roxio installed, please temporarily remove them from "Control Panel"-> "Programs and Features".

Method 2 Delete Filter Drivers

====================

1. Click Start, type regedit and press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer.

Method 3 Reinstall the removable CD/DVD drive

===============================

1.   Click Start, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.

2.   Expand DVD/CD-ROM drives.

3.   Right-click the removable CD/DVD drive and click Uninstall.

4.   Restart the computer.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 6:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Method 1 If you have any third-party CD/DVD-burning software such as Naro or Roxio installed, please temporarily remove them from "Control Panel"-> "Programs and Features".

====================

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 6:09 AM
  • hi there
    i kinda have the same problem here!
    i also have a sony vaio laptop model vgn n21z/w and for the past six months or so i have a serious problem with my cd/dvd drive
    it loads cd's but it's not able to write them till the end...somewhere in the process an error ocures and the burning/writing process stops.this happends with nero,windows or any other burning/writing programs.
    it doesn't load dvd's except the ones that are 'originals' meaning that if i have a bought dvd with music or programs or pc games and stuff and they are 'originals' from the manufacturer i can load them into my pc,
    but if i have a dvd bought in bulk and written on another pc with any kind of stuff such as games,movies,pictures...the dvd drive isn't working.
    i'm talking about the same matshita dvd-ram uj 850s device.
    at first it worked but after a while it stoped working.
    at that time i had windows vista bussiness installed on my pc but i've installed windows xp thinking that this might fix the problem(the drivers i tooked were from sony's homepage from a 'compatible' laptop that had the same drive in the laptop but different operating sistem-windows xp)
    my problem is that i've spent a large amount of money on this laptop and i can't use the dvd drive.
    i think it's a software issue cos' the cd's are working-at least the reading part- and some dvd's are working too-those i've mentionned above-.
    i hope u can help me with my problems cos i'm running outta patience here.
    my hard drive is full and i wanna write dvd's or at least cd's but i can't!
    i wrote a message to sony but they didn't answer(i wrote them two months ago...can't belive they're that busy...)and if i'm gonna get an answer from microsoft the same way as with sony...i think i'm gonna sue someone...
    i bought the laptop from spain and untill jully i will continue using it in romania...this is the reason why i didn't go to the sellers and tell them to fix my problem.
    this summer i will do that but untill then i wanna be sure that it's not a software problem...by the way i've tried all of the methods u've mentioned above and none of them worked...so this time please give me something that works.
    an update of the drivers will be ok for the start
    or at least some compatible drivers for windows xp.
    i can't untderstand why  you people do software only for vista on some stuff u put in a laptop that has the possibility to work on a different os.
    if i own the laptop and i've paid for it let me be the one to decide what to install...
    and a second thing
    vista is full of ***:it's requesting cd with software installation for usb memory stick and stuff which is hilarious!
    i'm not mentioning office 2007 who is not working with vista!
    microsoft blew it bigtime with that!
    in conclusion...
    i hope u give me some ideas that will help me solve the problem or talk to whoever u know that has a solution to my problem!
    thanks in advance
    Sorin Mihai Horvath
    sorinhorvath@hotmail.com
    sorinhorvath@gmail.com
    tryvette_is_the_crow@yahoo.com
    ps:i'd really apreciate it if u would send me a sign that u replied to me via these email adresses cos i'm full of forums and threads...
    thanks again
    and excuse my 'unpatienceness' reguarding this problem
    i've
    Thursday, March 27, 2008 8:18 PM
  •  K_rpe_2M wrote:
    hi there
    i kinda have the same problem here!
    i also have a sony vaio laptop model vgn n21z/w and for the past six months or so i have a serious problem with my cd/dvd drive
    it loads cd's but it's not able to write them till the end...somewhere in the process an error ocures and the burning/writing process stops.this happends with nero,windows or any other burning/writing programs.
    it doesn't load dvd's except the ones that are 'originals' meaning that if i have a bought dvd with music or programs or pc games and stuff and they are 'originals' from the manufacturer i can load them into my pc,
    but if i have a dvd bought in bulk and written on another pc with any kind of stuff such as games,movies,pictures...the dvd drive isn't working.
    i'm talking about the same matshita dvd-ram uj 850s device.
    at first it worked but after a while it stoped working.
    at that time i had windows vista bussiness installed on my pc but i've installed windows xp thinking that this might fix the problem(the drivers i tooked were from sony's homepage from a 'compatible' laptop that had the same drive in the laptop but different operating sistem-windows xp)
    my problem is that i've spent a large amount of money on this laptop and i can't use the dvd drive.
    i think it's a software issue cos' the cd's are working-at least the reading part- and some dvd's are working too-those i've mentionned above-.
    i hope u can help me with my problems cos i'm running outta patience here.
    my hard drive is full and i wanna write dvd's or at least cd's but i can't!
    i wrote a message to sony but they didn't answer(i wrote them two months ago...can't belive they're that busy...)and if i'm gonna get an answer from microsoft the same way as with sony...i think i'm gonna sue someone...
    i bought the laptop from spain and untill jully i will continue using it in romania...this is the reason why i didn't go to the sellers and tell them to fix my problem.
    this summer i will do that but untill then i wanna be sure that it's not a software problem...by the way i've tried all of the methods u've mentioned above and none of them worked...so this time please give me something that works.
    an update of the drivers will be ok for the start
    or at least some compatible drivers for windows xp.
    i can't untderstand why  you people do software only for vista on some stuff u put in a laptop that has the possibility to work on a different os.
    if i own the laptop and i've paid for it let me be the one to decide what to install...
    and a second thing
    vista is full of ***:it's requesting cd with software installation for usb memory stick and stuff which is hilarious!
    i'm not mentioning office 2007 who is not working with vista!
    microsoft blew it bigtime with that!
    in conclusion...
    i hope u give me some ideas that will help me solve the problem or talk to whoever u know that has a solution to my problem!
    thanks in advance
    Sorin Mihai Horvath
    sorinhorvath@hotmail.com
    sorinhorvath@gmail.com
    tryvette_is_the_crow@yahoo.com
    ps:i'd really apreciate it if u would send me a sign that u replied to me via these email adresses cos i'm full of forums and threads...
    thanks again
    and excuse my 'unpatienceness' reguarding this problem
    i've

I am having the same problem... I have Asus Labtop and I sometimes it plays CDs and sometimes it doesnt. Sometimes it burns and sometimes it doesnt. I have tried the registry thing, and it only had upper filters so i deleed it and nothing happened. would appreciate some help.

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 3:03 AM
  • Situation: Acer 5100-5033, windows XP, SP2.

I followed your instructions and the solutiion did not work. My dvd/CD occassionally shows up, but very rarely. I have pulled the dvd/cd out and reinserted it a number of times, as well as tried inserting another dvd/cd I had from another laptop.

No luck.

Thursday, June 5, 2008 10:24 PM
  • It works on an Acer. thanks (Method 2)

Friday, August 1, 2008 10:49 PM
  • I also have an Acer 5100 with the same problem.  I did do the registry edits and it worked for about 20 minutes.  I then started to play around with the existing registry keys.  I set the (SilentInstall) value from (1) to (0) and it worked.  I have restarted my laptop several time and the dvd drive is still there.  See if this method works for anyone else that did the registry edits (lower and upper filters).
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 8:09 PM
  •  Tim Quan - MSFT wrote:

Hi,

====================

5. Restart the computer.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

question about Method 3 number

3. Right-click the removable CD/DVD drive and click Uninstall

Is that the Matshita itself that needed to be uninstalled? Becaused i tried

Method 1 and 2 but my dvd drive still wont play?

Sunday, August 24, 2008 3:54 AM
  • Never mind, it works already.

Method 2 works on me. Thank you

so much for the tips!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 9:53 PM
  • Thanks Alot Tim Quan. The steps you mentioned solved the problem of MATSHITA DVD/CD RAM UJ850S driver problem and it worked on acer aspire 5720.

Thanks again. I talked to people in acer co. and they told me very lengthy procedures.

These steps are simple, easy and quick and the idea of backup is really gud as there's no risk.

Superb!!!

Batool

Thursday, September 25, 2008 1:10 PM
  • what do you do when you're drivers aren't found anymore?? I don't have errors or anything but my pc doesn't show my drivers any more. I can't seem to find software or any solution
    Friday, September 26, 2008 7:23 PM