none
DPM 2010 - Unable to add client ? RRS feed

• Question

• I am running DPM 2010 and am unable to add a client to an existing Protection Group. When I right-click on the group listed under the Protection tab, the choice for "Add clients for protection group" is grayed out. Same thing if I try to select the Add clients to protection group under the Actions/Selected Item section to the right on the screen. Yes, I can add a new client by working through the full Modify group choice, but I had hoped the add would be faster and easier.

When DPM refers to "clients" are they only referring to XP type clients, or clients as in servers - 2003 or 2008 ?

Any ideas what I am doing wrong ?

Friday, July 9, 2010 5:27 PM

Answers

• When you create a protection group, you are given the choice of what kind of protecton group to create, a Client, or Server protection group.

You can only "Add clients for protection group" if the protection group is a "Client" protection group.  This is because ALL clients share the same template, so you don't need to choose what data to backup.  You just add the client and you are done.

A Server protection group requires you to choose a server and the individual data sources (work loads) you want to protect, so there is no option to add a server to a Server PG, and you cannot mix and match client protection and server protection in the same type of PG.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 9, 2010 5:58 PM

All replies

• When you create a protection group, you are given the choice of what kind of protecton group to create, a Client, or Server protection group.

You can only "Add clients for protection group" if the protection group is a "Client" protection group.  This is because ALL clients share the same template, so you don't need to choose what data to backup.  You just add the client and you are done.

A Server protection group requires you to choose a server and the individual data sources (work loads) you want to protect, so there is no option to add a server to a Server PG, and you cannot mix and match client protection and server protection in the same type of PG.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 9, 2010 5:58 PM
  • Rats. Thank you for the information
    Monday, July 12, 2010 1:19 PM